Hydronic baseboard heat

Users who are viewing this thread

SG

Reaction score
I am beginning to remodel several rooms in my house which will require moving/replacing some of the hot water strip heat units. The current system is a one pipe system with 3 zones. I am looking for information on replacement strips and purging the system once the installation is complete.

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
You know, sometimes a question is just too vague to answer... I assume that by "heat strips" you mean baseboard radiators?

SlantFin's got a lot of good info on their site.

heatinghelp.com is another good source of general info, for hydronic or steam.

And if you can be more specific about what you'd like to know, I'm sure folks here will have answers for you.

Construct30

Reaction score
Flushing the system is important to remove any garbage you get in the system when working on it.

It is important to watch the pressure after flushing with house pressure.

Flushing and purging depends on the entire system layout. Where the pump is, where the zone valves are, where the water fill bypass is and where your, fill valve (flowtrol) and tank is. A mistake can be very costly, some times not a DIY project, can be, but be very careful.

SG

Reaction score
Thanks for the info thus far. My house is a 3 zone system where the work I want to do is in the 2nd floor bathroom of our two story house. All zone controls, pumps and water pressure regulating valves, and expansion tank are in the basement. In addition, it appears that there are a number of cut off valves which would allow me to isolate each zone. In this bathroom, I have two hot water radiator strips which forming an "L" at a corner. One is a 4' radiator and the other is a 3' radiator. My intent is to move or replace them on a straight wall with no turns near the existing piping.

Construct30

Reaction score
It has to do with where they are in relation to each other and the boiler, not where in the house, sorry for being confusing. You might want to post this in the heating forum, but it is hard to get help with something so complicated on the forum. There are so many ways to plumb a boiler and many different setups. If you do something wrong it can get expensive. Ideally plumb the part you need to move, if you know what you're doing and then pressure test it and hire someone to come flush that zone and service the boiler.

Last edited:

SG

Reaction score
I really appreciate your advice. I am obviously over simplifying this project.

Construct30

Reaction score
I really appreciate your advice. I am obviously over simplifying this project.

Unfortunately it is a simple project for a qualified heating person, that will cost you a lot, but trying to figure it out without a lot of schooling is rather difficult and can cause more problems than it is worth.

shermar

shermar
Reaction score
I also have a small project that I need to take care of. I have poured a new patio in my backyard off my kitchen dinning area. I have a window in the eating area that I want to remove and replace with garden doors, going out to the new patio. The problem that I have is this. On the floor, just below the window is about a 10' hot water baseboard radiator. It must be removed, or moved, in order to have the garden door installed. luckily, the floor joists run in the same direction as the baseboard heater. Here's what I'm thinking of doing, and I would value your opinion. I would like to take the current baseboard heater, and run it underneath the dinning room floor, in between the floor joists and then close the radiator in, so the heat has no other place to go then up. Then I would like to cut in 2 or 3 standard forced air vent covers into the floor above. My thinking is that this would hide the hot water radiator, but still have radiant heat coming through the holes in the floor (now covered with vent covers). Do you think this is a viable solution to my problem, or what would you suggest?

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Then I would like to cut in 2 or 3 standard forced air vent covers into the floor above. My thinking is that this would hide the hot water radiator, but still have radiant heat coming through the holes in the floor (now covered with vent covers). Do you think this is a viable solution to my problem, or what would you suggest?

And where would the replacement air, (since the air in the space would be rising by "convection", not radiation), be coming from.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks