(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Redgard for tiled shower? Waterproof...

I'll repeat this for anyone who may have missed it.

We test all our tiled showers, whether it's a requirement of the AHJ, the code, the individual inspector, contract or not. Most codes require a 24 hour test, some test longer. Both are fine. Again, a passing test is no assurance that your contractor knows how to properly put together a shower. Pay attention to this; having inspectors or anyone else witness shower testing is *NOT*, I repeat *NOT* a requirement by many jurisdictions regardless of whether it's adopted by code or not. Inspectors, quite simply, are over burdened and overworked, and witnessing a shower test is not high on their priority list often times. I can attest to this with personal experience from both sides of this relationship. These folks deserve our respect regardless of what your personal relationship is with them, due to the fact they are there as the public's representative and are primarily concerned with life safety issues when they have little time on their schedules.

We have been remodeling, building and rebuilding code compliant bathrooms, kitchens, and whole houses for over 3 decades and have many long time clients who know us, know our work, and hire us decade after decade. Bottom line, we know how to take care of folks whether it's code compliance folks, design professionals, clients, property managers or just the neighbors. It's not important that we satisfy every internet troll with a computer and a chip on his shoulder. What is important - and our life long repeat clients is all the satisfaction we need - is that we're pro's and know how to get things done right, the first time, and we do it with a smile.
    dana
    __________________________________________________ ______________________
    in my youth, i knew it all and treated folks like they knew nothing. after 3+ decades in the construction business, i came to realize that the more i learn, the less i know. now i treat folks as i want to be treated - with respect, no matter how little i know. :-)

Note: please don't feed or quote trolls. thank you. :-)

I'll add this about Redgard drying & curing. Pay attention to the temperature and the relative humidity *in the room getting Redgard*. This is important and low temps and/or high RH can extend dry/cure times immensely. Here's a shot of the temp & RH when we arrived on the job one of the Redgard days. If you're installing liquids, get one of these temp/RH gauges to help reinforce your estimate on dry times. Don't ask me how I know it's very important to get the dry times correct...

Name:  IMG_4838.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  41.2 KB
    Last edited by dhagin; 02-07-2014 at 03:17 PM.
    dana
    in my youth, i knew it all and treated folks like they knew nothing. after 3+ decades in the construction business, i came to realize that the more i learn, the less i know. now i treat folks as i want to be treated - with respect, no matter how little i know. :-)

ACO Shower Drain Sales johnfrwhipple's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Post(s) deleted by John Whipple
    Last edited by johnfrwhipple; 03-15-2014 at 03:50 PM.

jfrwhipple@gmail.com - www-no-curb.com - 604 506 6792

Always get construction advice double checked by your local city hall. Flood Test Every Shower - Every Time.

Hello all.

Redgard is a fine product and along with the other diverse array of tools in our arsenal, it comes into play on occasion. Personally, I appreciate that it's a heavy duty crack isolation membrane in addition to an approved pan liner and wet area waterproofing membrane. It's ease of use means a DIYer can install it with success, and as it's available at the box store, a DIYer can get it just as well as a pro. Don't need to take my word for it, here ya go.

From the Redgard spec sheet.
    http://www.custombuildingproducts.com/TDS/TDS-104.pdf

Benefits of Product in the Installation

Easy to use and can be applied by roller, trowel or airless sprayer
    Rated for extra heavy duty service
    Reduces curing time with quick-dry formula
    Isolates cracks to 1/8" (3 mm)
    Suitable for waterproofing pools, spas and water features
    Meets Uniform Plumbing Code specifications for use as a shower pan
    liner
    Obtained the Notice of Acceptance (NOA) for Miami-Dade County
    Applicable Standards

American National Standards Institute (ANSI) ANSI A108.01, A108.17,
    A108.13, A118.10 and A118.12 American National Standards for the
    Installation of Ceramic Tile ASTM International (ASTM)
    ASTM C627 Standard Test Method for Evaluating Ceramic Floor Tile
    Installation Systems Using the Robinson-Type Floor Tester
    ASTM D638 Standard Test Method for Tensile Properties of Plastics
    Tile Council of North America (TCNA) TCNA Handbook for Ceramic Tile
    Installation, TCNA Method EJ171, F125 & F125A
    I know some of you are a little hesitant to use a liquid or something from HD, I was at one time too. But once I tested and used the product, met with the fine Custom Building Products folks who design the products at their research facility in California, sprayed Redgard with an airless sprayer, troweled it on, rolled it one - well, I'm sold. It's a professional quality product with the availability a DIYer can love. We don't use it on all our custom designed professionally installed showers or tubs, but it's nice to know that it's always there if we need it.
    dana