(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Redgard for tiled shower? Waterproof...

ACO Shower Drain Sales johnfrwhipple's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Post(s) deleted by John Whipple
    Last edited by johnfrwhipple; 03-15-2014 at 03:49 PM.

jfrwhipple@gmail.com - www-no-curb.com - 604 506 6792

Always get construction advice double checked by your local city hall. Flood Test Every Shower - Every Time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Mills

Any opinion on doing a kerdi pan and redgarding the walls of a shower?
    It's done regularly with success. The main advantage, IMO, is that one need not wait days til the mud bed cures out before applying the liquid waterproofing. The main disadvantage is that as it's a hybrid system, it's not recommended for a DIYer as each install may need to be detailed differently to achieve success. If you're not familiar with either products, it's best to pick one and use it for the whole shower.
    dana
    __________________________________________________ ______________________
    in my youth, i knew it all and treated folks like they knew nothing. after 3+ decades in the construction business, i came to realize that the more i learn, the less i know. now i treat folks as i want to be treated - with respect, no matter how little i know. :-)

Note: please don't feed or quote trolls. thank you. :-)

Blog Entries

"Post(s) deleted by John Whipple
    Last edited by johnfrwhipple; 03-15-2014 at 03:49 PM.

Always get construction advice double checked by your local city hall. Flood Test Every Shower - Every Time.

The reason for the question is that I hate kerdi overlap. Especially when using small tiles.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jim mills View Post
    The reason for the question is that I hate kerdi overlap. Especially when using small tiles.
    With small tiles you would want to skim the wall out and get it perfect.

What colour grout you planning?

Still in the planning phases of my next project. Hardly at grout selection yet. Why you ask? Dang...closest Ardex dealer is 2 hours away.

Why not just Redgard the whole thing Jim? Finishing this one up tomorrow.

Name:  IMG_4760.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  57.7 KB
    Name:  IMG_4774.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  49.5 KB
    Name:  IMG_4797.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  49.6 KB
    Name:  IMG_4814.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  67.4 KB
    dana
    in my youth, i knew it all and treated folks like they knew nothing. after 3+ decades in the construction business, i came to realize that the more i learn, the less i know. now i treat folks as i want to be treated - with respect, no matter how little i know. :-)

Dana, I just feel much more confident in having a sheet membrane on the floor. I've done just one hydroban shower & it still comes to mind every time my phone rings. Just paranoid I guess...

Blog Entries

Default Red Guard to thin

Last edited by johnfrwhipple; 03-15-2014 at 03:50 PM.

I understand the trepidation with liquids. Sounds like you're a pro, and if so, suggest checking out the many successful installs over at a site that's dedicated to tile. These guys know their stuff, they don't just play contractor, they are tile contractors.

http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/...isplay.php?f=4
    dana

Blog Entries

Not sure if I mentioned that over at the dedicated tile pro's site, johnbridge.com, it's not just one person you're dealing with. It's a wealth of information from tile pro's around North America and the world. Of course, we rarely agree on what is proper, but we try to remain respectful and friendly even when we disagree.

There's more than one way to skin a cat, and over there we discuss many of the hybrid systems out there. There's pros and cons to all, and we've beaten some of these systems to death over the years. One other thing I'll mention... on a trip to Custom Building Products research facility last year, many of the pro's over there met some of the engineers and scientists who assure that their products meet or exceed industry and tile pro's standards. Liquid waterproofing systems have evolved greatly from the old 9235 days, and CBP's work with Redgard has changed it to a very competitive product with HydroBan. If installed properly, there's no worries with using a quality liquid as a shower floor waterproofing - of course this means prepped, installed, and maintained properly.
    dana

Blog Entries

Remember Jim, when using Redgard, or any liquid membrane system, follow the manufacturers installation instructions for getting proper coverage. With Redgard it's easy to verify and CBP gives several good options for getting there. If you don't have a wet film gauge, simply follow CBP's instructions on choosing and using a proper trowel, proper technique, proper number of coats, and away you go. You'll need multiple coats of course, just like any liquid.

In the photos above, you can see the first wall coat after the corners were pre-treated. All this according to the manufacturers installation instruction. This particular shower was constructed in a high humidity environment, so typical dry times were extended. Again, no worries, just follow the manufacturers installation instructions for dry/cure times & coloration, and you'll be fine.

It's always a good idea to flood test, whether it's required by the AHJ (that's the code folks) or not. We adhere strictly to this and test all showers whether it's required or not by code or contract. ... I've had this conversation with a number of code folks over the years, and some have no idea what you're getting on about. Especially for a DIYer or someone unfamiliar with the products, testing is a good benchmark for your floor waterproofing install, whether it's required or not. Of course, a flood test is only 1 small step in the successful completion of a proper shower and a passed flood test is no assurance that the shower is properly constructed.
    dana

Blog Entries