ShowerGuard from Guardian?

Users who are viewing this thread

natalia

Reaction score
We are in the process of remodeling master bathroom and our contractor submitted a quote for a new frameless shower 3'x4' (glass and installation) for $6,000. He didn't break anything down, but a significant part of it he says is ShowerGuard sealing. Needless to say, this is twice as much as our budget and I am trying to see if anyone had ShowerGuard applied in their glass shower.

Thank you,
Natalia

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
ShowerGard must be a trademark as it's not a generic term. There are some treatments that can be applied to glass at the factory that chemically change the outer surface. Basically, they bond a layer of material to it so that the microscopic irregularities of the glass are smoothed out. SOrt of like waxing your car, but applied so it becomes part of the glass and doesn't wear out like wax would. It makes it easier to keep the glass clean as the water beads up and flows off, so mineral deposits and soap scum find it hard to stick. A couple I've seen cost around $7-10 per square foot, so that does add up if you've got a lot of glass surface in the doors/walls. Now, is it worth it? Depends. A properly built shower for $6K isn't out of line, but it depends on the area you live in and the materials chosen.

Check out www.johnbridge.com for an education on building a shower...it's a similar forum that specializes in tiling, where showers are a major component.

Freddie

Reaction score
Hi Jim,

Have your thoughts on shower coatings changed? Seems like you are saying that the chemically bonded appear to be the best. Do you still think a coating of some kind is generally needed? We will try our best to squeegee the shower glass but over time I'm sure we may get a bit more lazy / miss more days than at the start. Seems like you need to squeegee anyways so is it really gonna make a difference?

thanks,

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
ShowerGuard is a "precoated glass" which claims to be stain resistant. Whether it is worth the added cost is something you will have to decide for yourself, Check their website to check it out.

Lucky

Reaction score
Old thread but I'm wondering what anyone's personal experience is with Showerguard. getting a quote Monday for my 42 inch square shower with 2 walls of glass

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks