Exhaust fan in basement for

Users who are viewing this thread

Tameria11

Reaction score
new bathroom, or is window all I need. I will lose a lot of ceiling height and have to go through the foundation to install a fan. Is an open window enough to get the moisture out of the basement bathroom. It has a shower and sink and toilet only.
Thanks
Dave

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Generally, building codes accept a window OR a fan as adequate ventilation. Personally, I do not like windows in bathrooms at all, and would want a fan anyway. Reason being, most folks will never actuall open the window, so you have no ventilation, and will have mold problems.

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
Window fan?

It's an idea...

Attachments

• windowfan.jpg
    windowfan.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 3,757

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
Personally I like windows in a bathroom. If installed properly and high up in the shower, it can be opened up to let moisture out without loss of privacy. That's the only thing I really miss from my old apartment. Open that up on a cool spring morning and take a warm shower....

Jason

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Going through the foundation isn't all that difficult. Hammer Drill, chisel and hammer.

They make fans that can be mounted on the wall so no loss of ceiling height.

Tom

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks