Sliding glass door removal

Users who are viewing this thread

Wardsweb

Reaction score
Any insight into removing a sliding glass door that goes from our bedroom to the enclosed patio (Florida rom, Sun room, etc...) and filling in the wall? Is it just a matter of getting the old doors and aluminum frame out, add some studs, sheet rock the inside and siding of choice for the outside?

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Thats exactly what you'll need to do. A sawzall will make the job a breeze. Don't forget to tarp out the area because dust travels.

Also depends on how the room is set up you might need a plug on that wall.

One other issue is for a room to be considered a bedroom it must have a window. Is there another window in the room?

Tom

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
window

It must not only have a window, but that window must be a minimum size that allows egress. The minimum size and dimensions is regulated by your local building and fire departments.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Egress and ventilation are BIG issues with code officials. If existing windows are not adequate, you could consider a window, or even a regular exterior door, in place of the slider.

The sliders come out easily. The fixed and sliding panels lift out. I use a sawzall to cut the frame into smaller sections. Easier to mule them out that way. They will be attached to the jamb with some nails or screws, and flashed in on the outside.

AZ Contractor

In the Trades
Reaction score
Out here under the IRC you need to calculate your floor area and 5% of that needs to be open ventilation for the room.

10% of the floor area needs to be window area for natural lighting.

You also must meet egress requirements.

crater

Reaction score
AZ.
Am I calculating this right according to IRC
12'x12' room
12x12=144sf
144sf*.05=7.2sf
Does this mean that for venting I would need 7.2sf of clear opening in the room? Do door opening count for venting?
And for natural lighting 14.4sf of window, but not necessarily venting kind?

Last edited:

AZ Contractor

In the Trades
Reaction score
You need 7.2 s.f. of open area which can be an open exterior door area or open window area.

Yes on the natural lighting.

Don't forget about the egress requirements.

Nate R

Reaction score
As was said, it really isn't very hard. I did one last fall in a rental property. There were sliding glass doors in the living room of the apartment that opened to the front yard. No patio, nothing. No good reason for them. They were old and failing. Found that there were only 2 nails holding the frame in! :eek:

Pulled it out, added some studs, plywood sheathing and sheetrock inside. Also installed a 4X4 slider window in the middle of the old doorway. A LOT tighter energy wise, and the tenant was happy. Turned out well. And was cheaper than getting new doors. (This was the real motivation. It was time to either replace them or install a window and wall instead. Turns out they were a very odd width, so no cheap replacement was found.)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks