steel to pvc

Users who are viewing this thread

Polson

Reaction score
I am replacing my kitchen counter and sink because they are in need of updating. My old sink was 6 inches deep and I would like to put in an 8 inch sink now. The problem is that the waste line coming out of the wall is too high, so an 8-inch sink is too deep to drain into the waste line, specifically on the side with the disposal. I would like to lower the waste line to allow for the deeper sink. My house was built in 1947 and the waste line is 1.5 or 2 inch steel pipe. As far as I can tell it comes straight up out of the basement and makes a 90 degree bend out of the wall under the sink.

Is it possible to cut open the wall beneath the 90 degree bend, cut a few inches off the steel pipe in place with a hacksaw or something and couple the cut end to a plastic line with some sort of rubber coupling or something?

What do you all think is the easiest way to solve this issue? I want a deeper sink, but not if it's going to cost me a ton of cash in plumbing changes...or flood my basement with wastewater;)

Thanks for the help.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Many older installs didn't have a vent (i.e., wet vented). If you are going to open the wall up, you may want to consider at least putting in an AAV, if allowed. A true atmospheric vent would be better, but could entail really tearing things up.

Polson

Reaction score
Thanks. I'm having trouble figuring out what a "santee" is, can you elaborate a bit or point me to a website? Thanks again!

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Use the Stainless steel banded couplings, not the all rubber couplings with a hose clamp on each end, to connect the new san T set up to the old steel / galvanized pipe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks