Muddy Waters

Users who are viewing this thread

CHF

Reaction score
I had a well drilled last summer. It's 110 feet deep. We hit water at 100 feet. I put in a submersible pump and 100 feet of pipe and started pumping water.

The water started clearing up and eventually ran clear. I don't use the well very often, but it pumps muddy water that clears up after 45 minutes to an hour. The driller said I would have to use it for a while before it will clear up. It is better, but I still have to pump it for an hour or so before it's clear. Is my pump too close to the bottom? I figure it's 7 feet or so from the end of the pump to the bottom of the well. If I pick it up more than 3 feet I'll run the risk of running the pump dry.

I haven't put in a pressure tank yet because of the dirty water. It's basically an outside spigot for washing water for a cabin.

What do you suggest?

Thanks,

Charlie

Speedbump

Reaction score
Does this pump run steady without running out of water for 45 minutes?

What is your water level?

bob...

Gear Junkie

Plumber
Reaction score
Where did you put your screens? I've always used a full 20' blank as my first piece of casing so I'm not right on the bottom. What kind of well developing did you do? For how long?

Reading your post, I don't think you're deep enough.

CHF

Reaction score
Does this pump run steady without running out of water for 45 minutes?

What is your water level?

bob...

As far as I know it will run forever. The driller said it was making over 30 gal per minute. I don't know what the water level is other than he hit water at 100 feet.

CHF

Reaction score
It probably isn't mud if when you turn on the water it is "muddy" right then instead of clear. That's if it was clear when you shut it off the last time you used it.

Is the color orange reddish brown? If so that says it might be iron. Have you had an iron test?

When I first run it it's clear because I ran it clear last time, after 6 or 8 gallons it's muddy again. Yep, reddish brown. Orange almost.

CHF

Reaction score
Think I should raise the pump 3 feet or so and see if it pumps clear? I think I'm too close to the bottom.

R

Rancher

I think 10' of water is not much, unless the well driller hit the city's water main. How much water was he blowing at that depth?

He probably should have driller another 40' unless there is a history of bad water deeper.

Rancher

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
It should clear up!

I would need to know much more about the wells construction before I can make an accurate diagnosis. Such as if it is a screened well, where the screen placed? Is the well gravel packed? Was the well developed with air? What is the static level of the water (how far is it to the water from the top when well has been setting)?

It's possible that the gravel pack didn't get to the well screen. It's also possible the well wasn't properly developed or developed long enough.

I recommend you pump it often until it clears, then shut it off for a time, then pump it again. It should eventually clear up completely. If it doesn't clear up soon, call the driller back because something isn't right.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
When I first run it it's clear because I ran it clear last time, after 6 or 8 gallons it's muddy again. Yep, reddish brown. Orange almost.
The 6-8 gallons of clear water is what would be left in the pressure tank and pipe from the submersible pump or foot valve of a jet pump.

So the orange water is caused by oxidized iron in the well. So get a water test for iron to see how much you have.

If this is the problem, you have red water iron and need an automatic backwashed filter. If 'rust' builds up in the bottom of the well, raising the pump may help if the pump is stirring it up. Otherwise it won't help.

Speedbump

Reaction score
Think I should raise the pump 3 feet or so and see if it pumps clear? I think I'm too close to the bottom.

I can't think of one instance where this would help.

Where the water enters the well is very important. As in a screened well or a rock bore well. But if there were any debris at the bottom of the well, the pump would have either have pumped it up by now, or it would be leaving it alone.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks