Fine sediment in my well water...

Users who are viewing this thread

Jobu

Reaction score
I have a new well, constructed in October, the third one we had to drill for our newly contructed home. We live in southwestern Virginia, where we are approaching drought conditions. The first well dried up quickly, after only two weeks of household use. The second well was a dud, barely putting out any water at all. The third well, drilled with an air drill, is 500 feet deep, and was putting out only 1-1.5 gallons per minute at the time it was drilled. The static level rose to within 70 feet of the top, and we have had plenty of water thanks to storage. The water, however, has not cleared up. The sediment filters I have installed between the well and the storage tank are still allowing really fine sediment, about the consistency of flour, into the house. I have tried acitvated carbon filters with low micron ratings, 5 then 1 respectively, with some success. But the problem is not solved. The well driller says that he, knowing he was coming into a dry area, instructed his employees to use a minimal amount of casing to ensure that no inflow was cut off. I am hesitant to mess with the well. 3 weeks with no water was enough, and I simply cannot afford to drill another well if we ruin this one. I would like to handle the sediment problem via filtration, but fear that conventional backwashing and/or reverse osmosis systems still won't take out the smallest stuff. I have heard that I may have my filters in the wrong place, that I may need to place them between the storage tank and the faucet. I plan to try that this weekend. Any thoughts, suggestions, or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Alternety

Like an engineer
Reaction score
Check out Zenon filters. They are now owned by GE. They are nanofilters (0.02 microns). Auto cleaning. Expensive. If it is a particle; this will fix it. It takes out viruses.

Depending on what the geology is like you may want to look into hydrofracting the well. If you are mostly in rock, it could help. I don't know enough details for other geology. It uses high pressure water to fracture the surrounding rock. My well went from losing a contest with my kidneys and a six pack to about 3.5 GPM.

Speedbump

Reaction score
If you have these filters before the tank, that is definitely the wrong place for them. Your trying to cram the water through them. Filters work best with low flow, as in behind the tank.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks