Pressure Assist Toilet Retrofit???

Users who are viewing this thread

ram5eyd

Reaction score
I'm looking for a kit that will convert my old toilet to a pressure-assist, but the flushmate and pf2 says they won't retrofit to gravity toilets. Is there some physics that says this can't happen? I suppose the manufacturers would rather sell you a whole new toilet than a conversion kit. Does anyone know if there is a drop-in kit out there?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Pressure assist won't make a poorly performing toilet work better. The waterways are different, in theory at least, so retrofit is a pot shot at best, and unlikely to work if you could find the parts.

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
Although this may be possible it is doubtful it would work. Those pressure tanks blow the water out at a very quick speed and you'd most likely have water shooting up out of the toilet if it wasn't properly designed. My old Gerber Powerflush is bad enough with just the spray that I usually close the lid before I flush it.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
From the Sloan Flushmate website: "The FLUSHMATE® Pressure-Assist system is a component inside of a specially designed toilet that harnesses the pressure from the water supply line to provide the energy needed to complete the flush. The FLUSHMATE® Pressure-Assist technology cannot be retrofitted into a standard, gravity-fed toilet."

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I did see a pressure assist tank installed on an old 5.0 gallon bowl.
It did not flush, it only stirred the water.

A 1.5 gallon flush needs a matching 1.5 gallon bowl.

Besides, you can get pretty much the same result with a good Gravity tank and bowl. Those have to be matching too.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I have replaced many of the early "Kohlers own" pressure assisted toilets in commercial applications with gravity flush Toto Drake Toilets with no complaints. In somecases The owner or manager has called me to install them in their own house... Whats not to like about a toilet that works good?

Joerg

Reaction score
Also, one should note that pressure-assist toilets are extremely loud. The classical flushing sound at 704 Houser Street (Archie Bunker) is nothing compared to a pressure-assist. I wish there was a trick to quiet them down a bit.

Regards, Joerg.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks