(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Conduit recommendation for spa

Default Conduit recommendation for spa

Hello all. For rigid non-metalic conduit, what is the conduit size recommendation to run the following 7 conductors in the same conduit?
    - 6 AWG: 3 conductors, 8 AWG: 1 conductor, 12 AWG: 3 conductors.
    All conductors are THWN. Approximately 90' to 100' run total. Larger conductors to provide power to spa (220v/50A). 12 AWG conductors to provide power to shed (misc power tools w/ low duty cycle pwr requirments).
    Also... what is the min. burial depth and any other requirements for burial in lawn? (ie; buried in stone dust, etc?)
    Thanks,
    MJ

12" to 18", or deeper depending on the area. For the number & size of the conductors, you may want to go with at least 1.5" Schedule 40. The NEC Guidelines will spell everything out for you in sections 200 to 250, & 680.
    http://www.nfpa.org/freecodes/free_a....asp?id=7008SB

The NEC Guidelines will spell everything out for you in sections 200 to 250, & 680.

They don't actually spell it out....or maybe I missed it. Didn't there used to be a table where you could cross the wire size with the pipe size?

All I could find were the values for the areas of the pipe and wire. I remember laughing at the 10, #12's in a 1/2" emt column.

You will have plenty of room in 1" unless you do some crazy back to back 90's

18" of cover
    Last edited by Alectrician; 02-18-2008 at 02:46 PM.

The conduit fill calculator was pretty slick. It took 20 seconds

It took me more than 20 seconds to find my high powered reading glasses and find "conduit fill" in the NEC index.

The calculator was a nice find, I cannot say myself. Also, if not posted before, the NFPA 2007 Firecodes online manual is at http://www.nfpa.org/freecodes/free_a...nt.asp?id=7207

That should do it (for now). Thanks guys!

MJ