(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: New Moentrol shower/tub valve leaking!

Default New Moentrol shower/tub valve leaking!

Hi,
    I installed a new Moen Moentrol valve in a shower/tub. When the valve is pushed in to turn it off it still drips slightly. While it is pushed in (off position) and I rotate the handle it drips less in the hot positions but drips more in the cold positions. You can actually hear the valve opening slightly as you turn it. I can't find anything wrong with the installation so far.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Gary

sounds like damaged or dirty o-rings, take it apart and inspect the o-rings look for tears and dirt, to reinstall be carefull not to damage them. use glycerine or another grease approved for potable water to lube them up.

I assume the valve has that round or almost round chrome sleeve that goes over the body. If yes I assume it is not pushed in fully. This will cause the valve not to clse fully.
    I'm just starting to work with an old friend of mine to bring solar electric and hot water systems, wind turbines, Flex Fuel Boilers, batteries, hydroponic gardening, books, pellet grills and more. Also the parts for DIY installation.

Hi,
    I couldn't find anything wrong with the installation. I removed the valve and flushed and inspected the valve body and the valve itself. I sent Moen an email requesting warranty support for a new valve, it arrived a few days later and it fixed the problem. I still don't see anything visibly wrong with the old one but there must be a defect. Hopefully it doesn't start leaking after a month like the first one!
    Gary