water line on exterior wall

Users who are viewing this thread

Tameria11

Reaction score
Hello
First, I would like to thank everyone that has been helpful to my questions so far, Great stuff.
Do to our restricted layout, I will be forced to run water lines through my exterior wall in the basement for our new bathroom. I want to drywall the ceiling to keep some height, how do you insulate the wall to prevent freezing the pipes. It gets very cold where I live,-25 is not rare!!.
I am getting discouraged with this reno( 1 step forward-2 steps back and would love some positive advice.
Should I work at another design lay out. I am going through the slab this week, so I don't want any problems with water lines freezing up...
Thanks
Dave

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
Water lines below the frost line will not freeze, and I believe that fact usually makes lines on the inside of basement walls safe. I have water lines fastened to the inside of the walls in my basement with framed and insulated walls sitting just a few inches out.

Tameria11

Reaction score
inside walls

not quite clear what you mean. Do you have your water lines behind the drywall going through the studs, and how do you connect to the shower head, it will be above the frost line?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Are you saying your basement is totally unheated? Usually enough heat from the house gets into a basement to keep it at least above 32. I don't follow what you mean when you say the "drywall on the ceiling will keep some height." Do you mean heat? I would not cover the pipes with insulation because insulation does not add heat, but drywall is not a very good insulator although it will slow the rising heat somewhat. So, insulate the basement wall then run the pipes on top of the insulation, and finally drywall. If all else fails, put some heat down there!

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
not quite clear what you mean. Do you have your water lines behind the drywall going through the studs, and how do you connect to the shower head, it will be above the frost line?

Please pardon me for not being more clear. About half of my basement is below the frost line, and the relative "warmth" that radiates up from the lower half of the basement (even along the walls) is enough to keep pipes that are fastened to those walls from freezing.

Maybe this picture will explain things a bit. Even after the framed wall is insulated, the water and drain lines along the wall are not going to freeze unless the entire house ends up being unheated and freezes.

Attachments

• Im604.jpg
    Im604.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 2,394
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks