Installing Moen A725 Drop Ell

Users who are viewing this thread

Seaneys

Reaction score
Hello,

I've checked Moen's web site for this, but do not see the answer..

I am installing a Moen A725 Drop Ell (seems like their standard). It accepts a 1/2" NPT Male.

Does anyone know if the Male connection should be flush with the finished wall? I do not see any documentation that indicates the depth of the connection. I scoured their web site.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
If I recall the threads should sit 3/8" outside the tile surface. Each manufacturer has a slightly different measurement.

To be sure: What I usually do, I install a 1/2 copper x 1/2" fip wingback 90 fastened to a backing inside the wall. (similar to the shower arm 90). Once the tile surface is established, I install the A725 with a brass nipple to accomadate the distance needed for a flush mount.

Last edited:

Seaneys

Reaction score
Do you use the same trick for the body jets? My only fear would be a leak in the wall, but I could always pressure test after the drop Ell was installed.d

Thanks!
Steve

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
Do you use the same trick for the body jets? My only fear would be a leak in the wall, but I could always pressure test after the drop Ell was installed.d

Thanks!
Steve
Always the same thing. I always found that each contractor would finish their walls with different material thicknesses. The difference would be from standard 1/4" tile to 3/4" granite. Allow at least 3/8" for threads for each side . Total 3/4"-7/8"

Doing it the way I mentioned, you can adjust the lenghts of the nipples as you see fit. Contractors or clients may have a change of heart in materials used and the plumber would never get notified of the changes until the project was ready for finishing. (then its too late.)

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks