New Toy...

Users who are viewing this thread

TMB9862

Reaction score
I know someone who has one and loves it although I haven't personally seen or used it. I lug around a B tank for almost everything.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Nice toy...How much$$$$$

That look pretty nice for a map gas set up...

How much do they want for it anyway????

I use a mc small tank with t he turbo torch set up....

The only thing I see wrong with it the color WHITE....

It would have been better in a darker color like green or
total blue.....

The White Plastic is going to look pretty crappy after you drag that through a couple of crawl spaces.....

White is going to show all the dirt

How much do they want for it anywqay???

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
torch

About the only place it would be an advantage would be when the hand held tank would have to be inverted. Otherwise it is just one more thing to find a place in the truck for. By the time you get it out, uncoil the hose, do the job, rewind the hose, etc., I will have done the job with my hand held and be down the road to the next one.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
About the only place it would be an advantage would be when the hand held tank would have to be inverted. Otherwise it is just one more thing to find a place in the truck for. By the time you get it out, uncoil the hose, do the job, rewind the hose, etc., I will have done the job with my hand held and be down the road to the next one.

hj, I used to think the same way you did until I tried this one.

http://www.bernzomatic.com/bernzomatic/consumer/jhtml/detail.jhtml?prodId=BernzoProd100060

What I don't like about it is that it has no spark igniter on it and only a 4' hose.

Once I tried it there was no going back...I loved it.

The Lenox has a longer hose (12') which I have always wanted and the spark igniter and the burn tube is stainless and will heat and cool faster than the brass on the one I have now.

Construct30

Reaction score
You can invert the self igniting torches and they are small and self contained. I buy the one that works on propane and mapp. They are cheap at the box stores and work great and fit in the tool box. I've never had a spot it wouldn't fit that you could solder in.

SRdenny

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
My company used Mapp® for close to 30 years. Our supplier switched over to propylene gas about 5 years ago. Propylene has a wider temp range then Mapp®, and it burns cleaner. Both use the same regulators, hose, handles and tips. While I agree with hj that a hand held torch is more user friendly, jobs that require lots of joints are better suited to a tank setup, especially when a hotter tip is required. As for comparisons to acetylene, both Mapp® and propylene burn cooler using the same diameter tip, but the weight to gas volume ratio (the tanks weight a lot less then a B tank) and cost per joint are quite a bit less.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
I bought the Bernzomatic torch-on-a-rope Cass refered to a couple of years ago and now wonder why I waited so long. Yeah, some times it'd be nice if the hose were longer, and the hanger is pretty basic, and the tanks still fall over and roll around, and it's not self-igniting, but for about 1/8 the cost of the Lenox rig, it can't be beat.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
It looks like a nice rig but, I'm with HJ on this... I used a self igniting trigger start mapp gas bottle rig for almost all my work. My tanks and hose rig fell off the van and into the back corner of my garage a long time ago... I keep thinking if I ever need it I'll go get it!

TMB9862

Reaction score
but the weight to gas volume ratio (the tanks weight a lot less then a B tank) and cost per joint are quite a bit less.
I always figured a B tank costs about the same as two and a half tanks of MAPP gas, never actually done a comparison though. Do you really get more from those couple MAPP tanks then a B tank? As for propylene I've heard good things about it, it's supposed to burn hotter than MAPP and leave nice looking joints. So it could be used in a setup like CASS is looking at with no modification?

SRdenny

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Do you really get more from those couple MAPP tanks then a B tank?
If you are referring to the 7.5 tank, then yes.
Do you really get more from those couple MAPP tanks then a B tank?
They are interchangeable.

Last edited:

TMB9862

Reaction score
No idea what a 7.5 tank is. The ones I use are about 2ft high and 8in wide.

SRdenny

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
7.5 refers to the weight of the gas in the 2'x8" tank when full. Or at least that's what the guys at the gas supply house tell me.

Gear Junkie

Plumber
Reaction score
I know a few guys who have them and quite a few don't care for them. I personally use my turbotorch mapp gas head or oxy acetylene:eek: for lots of soldering. I like the capn hook tip and you'll heat a 3/4" joint in less than 2 seconds. Works great.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
hand held

The only problem with a hand held is that inverting it can let "stuff" plug the filter, and the manufacturer doesn't warrantee against that, but I still do it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks