rough in or frame first

Users who are viewing this thread

Tameria11

Reaction score
Hi
Should I frame in my bathroom or do the rough in first, I have heard 2 opinions so far, one says rough in first, one says frame in walls first?
Thanks
Dave

TMB9862

Reaction score
Typically you do your framing first. Just keep in mind the plumbing while doing the framing and you can save a headache later on. Do you need to header off a joist for the toilet waste, do you need a 2 x 6 wall on one side, etc.
You are going to have to run the pipes through the studs. Once the pipes are in you can't get the studs in without cutting them completely through?

TMB9862

Reaction score
Typically you do your framing first. Just keep in mind the plumbing while doing the framing and you can save a headache later on. Do you need to header off a joist for the toilet waste, do you need a 2 x 6 wall on one side, do you have a stud directly where your shower body is going, etc.
You are going to have to run the pipes through the studs. Once the pipes are in you can't get the studs in without cutting them completely through?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
schedule

If you do the plumbing first, you will have to cut it apart or hack the studs, anywhere you have a horizontal pipe. And if your measurements are off, the walls will have to be moved to fit the plumbing.

SRdenny

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
On new construction or additions (wood frame):
roll joists
rough in plumbing below floor, stubbing up waste water and gas, test
Lay subfloor,
water and gas, test
On slab jobs:
Set forms
Run waste, test
Frame walls and roof, sheet roof
Top out waste, run water and gas, test,
No water in slab, (now that could start an argument)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks