Secondary (supply) line question

Users who are viewing this thread

HockeyFan

Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
I have a question about running a supply line from the electric pole to the house I'm building. (www.freewebs.com/stocktonunderground). Because the site has a few obstables (good trees, a slab, etc) I'm trying to avoid cutting down one of our best trees to get electricity to the house, and I'm hoping to avoid a slab that we have too.
I've spoken to an engineer at the electric co-op and he agreed in a location for the pole. I'm wondering how straight a path I must have for the buried electric line to the house.
I understand that we want to avoid as many 90 degree turns as possible. We will have one at the bottom of the pole, and we will have one getting into the house. Apart from that, I think we're okay. My question is that along the route, I was wondering if we can have a few 20 degree turns (or more gentle turns) to get along the path to the house. Is there a problem with this?
I know that we will have a 2 inch conduit (pvc) that we'll have the lines run in. I can heat the conduit to make it flexible enough to bend slightly along the way. I'm just wondering how straight a path I really must have.
Is there a problem if rather than cutting through a slab to get beyond it, can I bend the conduit for gentle turns and get around the slab.
What is acceptable by code. What is safe. What is acceptable as far as practical matters of getting electricity to the new house.

If this isn't a good way, I will probably have to find a better location for the pole, but I'll have to get the engineer from the co-op out to the site again, and I know he's busy and was hoping that I wouldn't have to do that.

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
You'd be surprised how flexible 2" PVC can be even without heating it up.
Can you make the bends long and sweeping?

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Buy the conduit before you dig and couple a few pieces together to get a feel for how much play you have. Long sweeps are always preferable.

NEC says 360 degrees total but some utilities say 270.

BTW, Palo Solari has a few of these structures in AZ.http://www.freewebs.com/stocktonunderground/

Last edited:

HockeyFan

Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
I can make reasonable long sweeping turns. There's nothing needed that are drastic turns. There's certainly nothing more than a 20 degree. Most are likely to be much smaller and gradual, and I can probably even avoid the 20s.

HockeyFan

Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Alectrician,
When you say 360 (or 270) do you mean that the total degree curve for the entire line can be no more than that, or do you mean that any turns in the line cannot exceed that? I just want to make sure I fully understand.
I still plan to talk to the engineer again, but I think I can keep from having him come back out to the site, since I think we can go with the agreed upon location for the additional utility pole.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I think that it is total sum of the angular changes of direction. So, you've got a 90 at each end, if they only want 270 max, you've got one 90 left....could be 9-10's, or whatever. Heavy wire gets to be a real pain pulling through conduit, especially when you add turns.

HockeyFan

Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
I'll probably pull the wire through the line at sections at a time, so I'm not real worried about pulling the wire through the length of it. I'll pull it through a section, and then into the next; and then go back and glue the first two sections; pull through the third and into the fourth; and go back and glue the third section.
Honestly, I plan on very slight sweeping bends.

I'm glad you clarified the degree question though. I now understand it to be the total degree of bend for the length of the line. Thanx.

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I'll probably pull the wire through the line at sections at a time,

Actually, that is the one thing you CAN'T do.

You must install it, THEN pull it.

The theory is that, if it ever needs to be replaced, it can be pulled out/in.

Generally they won't count long sweeping turns/jogs in the total degrees.

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
Actually, that is the one thing you CAN'T do.

You must install it, THEN pull it.

The theory is that, if it ever needs to be replaced, it can be pulled out/in.

Generally they won't count long sweeping turns/jogs in the total degrees.
True and true.

I you heat the pipe to make a 15 deg kick in it that will count. If you simply lay the pipe in a curved trench that will not count.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
You will have a hard time pulling service-size wire around even a single 90 degree bend with only as much force as you can apply manually. You should try to find a way to get a rope on it and pull with a vehicle or a come-along. You will also want someone to feed the wire (push at the inlet) and you will need lubricant.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks