tankless coil leak

Users who are viewing this thread

Pete C

Reaction score
I installed a tempering valve last week. In doing so, I stressed the output fitting on the tankless coil and it started leaking boiler water.

I had my yearly boiler service done a few days later. He said have it welded. The guy at the plumbing supply company said, yeah, that might work....for awhile. Replace the tankless coil.

So, I ordered a new coil. It came in yesterday. When I pulled the old coil, it looked to be in very good condition, but, the weld or braze just looks like it let go. I thought to myself, self, you could fix that. Then I figured, screw it, I got a new one here. Let's be done with it.

So, I start taking the fittings off the old one, but the fitting that holds theremometer absolutely refuses to come out.

So.... I get to thinking again (I hate it when that happens). I figure, well, I could patch this old one up for now and throw it in and see what happens. If it fails, oh well, I got a new one.

So last night I clean everything up as best I can and I used a good sized wad of clear silicone along the inside of the leaky fitting. This stuff is rated for 300 degrees. Since boiler water can't get past 212 degrees, it should work. On the outside I used jb weld and let it sit overnight.

I figure the silicone will be up to keeping any leaks at bay and the jb will provide the strength to keep the fitting from moving around.

I am gonna throw this thing together and cross my fingers. What do you folks think. That dang coil was over 300 bucks. I was real close to buying an indirect, but, when I found out they wanted 75 bucks just for a blockoff plate, I said screw it.

If it holds for a few days, I may just return the new one. I will probably have to eat a 10% restock fee, but, it just might be worth it.

One other thing. This has got to be about the bazillionth time I've found myself saying, damn, I need to get me a welder. You can find a decent one on fleabay pretty cheap. I think I'm gonna do it soon.

Last edited:

BigLou

Reaction score
I was real close to buying an indirect, but, when I found out they wanted 75 bucks just for a blockoff plate, I said screw it.

So why are we still debating about fixing an old, poorly performing inefficient way of heating water ? I just don't get it your going to have more hot water using less oil and a cooler basement in summer when the unit can shut off for hours at a time. You remind me of my father in law how won't put one in. All the BTU's that can't go in to heating up the few gallons of water in the boiler go right up the chimney

Lou

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks