Pedestal sink installation

Users who are viewing this thread

bluedevil

Reaction score
I had a plumber do the roughing in for two pedestal sinks to replace a double vanity. Then had someone finish the wall behind after installing 2X6's to support the new sinks. Now, I'm wondering if I can install the pedestal sinks myself. Here are my concerns:
1) The drain pipe coming out of the wall is just flush with the wall now after the drywall was installed, and the guy spackled around the pipe so there are NO gaps. I'm not sure how to attach a p-trap that will fit to the drain pipe - what parts do I need?

2) When the new water supply pipes were moved, the plumber just capped off the ends of the copper pipes. How do I remove this caps and install the water supply shutoff valves?

3) THe pedestal sinks came with a bracket and most of the hardware but it appears that I need to buy lag bolts to attach the brackets to the wall. The screws in the package were not labelled so I don't know which is which.
Here are the instructions that came with the sinks:

Last edited by a moderator:

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
1) what material and diameter is that pipe?

2) Cut the pipes just hehind the caps and solder your angle valves (usually, R19 chrome stops) to the petruding tubing

3) You can use any type of screws and anchors to attach the brackets to the wall. Typically, it would have been wise to put a wood backing during the roughin stage at the approx. height of where the screws or lag bolts would have to go. (General rule of thumb, 30" from floor to center of 2x8 backing)

Last edited:

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
Then had someone finish the wall behind after installing 2X6's to support the new sinks.
Typically, it would have been wise to put a wood backing during the roughin stage at the approx. height of where the screws or lag bolts would have to go. (General rule of thumb, 30" from floor to center of 2x8 backing)
That is why he had the 2x6's installed.

3) THe pedestal sinks came with a bracket and most of the hardware but it appears that I need to buy lag bolts to attach the brackets to the wall. The screws in the package were not labelled so I don't know which is which.
I would bet the screws that came with it should be what you need. I'm sure they gave you 6 to 8 or so. They might have given you one for the pedestal. Some need one to hold it in place. Some don't.

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
That is why he had the 2x6's installed.

Than disregard this comment. I went right to the questions and skipped the formalities
Typically, it would have been wise to put a wood backing during the roughin stage at the approx. height of where the screws or lag bolts would have to go. (General rule of thumb, 30" from floor to center of 2x8 backing)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks