Venting question in Ma.

Users who are viewing this thread

Canton

Plumber
Reaction score
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My friend has an old house in Gloucester Ma. where the vent for the 1st floor kitchen sink (drum trap) runs out and up the side of the house terminating just below the eaves, that is obviously no good.
He's doing the kitchen over, 2 sinks and a washer, there is a pantry off the kitchen that juts out about 6' and that's where the washer will be.
I suggested venting all 3 fixtures through the pantry roof, only problem is there is a window within 4' horizontally from the pantry roof, if he can't do that he'd have to open the walls all the way up to the attic.
Do you think the inspector would allow the vent 4' away?
I believe the code in Ma. say that you need to terminate 2' above a window or 10' horizontally.

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My friend has an old house in Gloucester Ma. where the vent for the 1st floor kitchen sink (drum trap) runs out and up the side of the house terminating just below the eaves, that is obviously no good.
He's doing the kitchen over, 2 sinks and a washer, there is a pantry off the kitchen that juts out about 6' and that's where the washer will be.
I suggested venting all 3 fixtures through the pantry roof, only problem is there is a window within 4' horizontally from the pantry roof, if he can't do that he'd have to open the walls all the way up to the attic.
Do you think the inspector would allow the vent 4' away?
I believe the code in Ma. say that you need to terminate 2' above a window or 10' horizontally.

No I don't think he will let you do that. It is because sewer gas can blow into the window:eek:

Canton

Plumber
Reaction score
Yes sir.

I am. I did look it up in the code book and we need to be 2 ft. above or 10 ft. away. Like I said, there is little alternative other then opening up the walls so I'm gonna ask the inspector what he would like us to do so I won't have to do it twice.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
So you know why redwood asked about your license! We are frequently reminded here that there is apparently NO DIY plumbing allowed in MA.

By the way, I have been in California more or less since before they had indoor plumbing, but I grew up just up the road from you , in Newbury. I am a year overdue for a trip back for some Ipswich clams!

Canton

Plumber
Reaction score
The four seasons are over-rated.

So you know why redwood asked about your license! We are frequently reminded here that there is apparently NO DIY plumbing allowed in MA.

By the way, I have been in California more or less since before they had indoor plumbing, but I grew up just up the road from you , in Newbury. I am a year overdue for a trip back for some Ipswich clams!

Stay where you are, you can always have the clams shipped overnight.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
I thought you were from Somerville?
We chatted about the inspector there when you were having some plumbing done on your home.
Your plumber should do the usual...just call the local inspector.
Sometimes, they'll make exception to the rule when existing plumbing poses a problem...not often, but if the inspector's familiar with the plumbers work he might.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks