CPVC to Copper

Users who are viewing this thread

crosby1

Reaction score
Plumbing for a shower remodel; the supply lines are CPVC and the new shower valve is brass with 1/2" CC connections. The CPVC/copper fittings I've seen have a permanently fixed piece of CPVC. How does one sweat the copper fitting without melting the CPVC part of the fitting?

Thanks.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Get male or female (depending on what your valve needs) IP threaded brass transition to CPVC couplings.

cpvc-female-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

crosby1

Reaction score
I'm confused...the valve requires soldered connections. What transitions the soldered copper to CPVC? A diagram or photo would be extremely helpful to me if possible. Thanks.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Use copper to connect to the valve and add a female adapter on the end of the stub that you can thread a CPVC fitting into after you've soldered it into the valve.

cpvc-male-adapter-terrylove.jpg

crosby1

Reaction score
OK to use threaded fittings behind a wall with no access panel???

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Use some Shark bites

Build the valve up in copper,
then extend some copper nipples down towards the
CPVC.....

Bring them together however you want to...

Just make the connection between them with a couple
of 1/2 Sharkbites......
then you don't have threaded connections in the wall...

cpvc-male-adapter.jpg

crosby1

Reaction score
Yeah, about those Sharkbite things. I've been reading on some of the posts here that they haven't been out long enough to have proved themselves.

again, this plumbing is going to be in a wall that once tiled, will have absolutely no access.

the Sharkbite connectors seem like a good idea, but how many here have used them and have there been any issues at all?

Thanks.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You should use the extra cost end reamer before installing the Sharkbite fitting - this puts a microbevel on the end of the pipe, removes any burrs and helps ensure you can install it without doing something that could mess up the seals. They should last a very long time. But, yes, a threaded connection is acceptable inside of a wall...many of the valves come with threaded connections.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks