Fitting Door Slabs in Existing Jambs.

Users who are viewing this thread

mikeangelini

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a different type of question regarding the interior door job I am about to do. Thanks for the tips on pricing, they were all helpful.

On some of the doors the jambs will be very difficult to remove and replace due to risk of damaging intricate plaster work. (curvy, artsy, incredibly old and fragile.) So I will need to take a blank 6 panel door slab and fit it. I am able to route out for the hinges, but I was looking for some tips on ripping or planing the width to fit. In my experience, the slabs are a 1/4" wider than the prehungs. And I will be buying slabs. On some doors, the width is over 1/2" narrower than the slab. I know that I can only rip off so much before the whole thing will get weak. How do you guys do it and have it look nice clean?

Thanks,
Mike Angelini

Rehabber

Reaction score
Check the fit of the original door to the frame. If the reveal is consistent use that door as a template for your replacement door. If the new doors are 1/4" wider, just take off 1/8" on each side, then mortise for the hinges and doorknob.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
doors

IF the doors are really that much different sawing may be faster than planing, but you will not remove enough material to weaken the door unless you try to make it a full size, (i.e., 2"), smaller.

AZ Contractor

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would clamp a large straight edge to the door and use it as a guide to cut to width. Then a quick pass with an orbital sander and you're done. If the holes are pre-bored, be sure to cut off of the hinge side of the door.

Unless you've got a good table saw setup, you'll probably scratch or ding the new doors by passing them through a table saw on your own.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks