Diagram of pipe... Will this work?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jpb116

Reaction score
Will this work or will the tub not drain properly? The main waste pipe is 3" and vent will be a 2 1/2". The vent would be ~6 feet from the tub drain. I'm concerned about the position of the vent...

I saw one plumbed like this, everytime the tub was drained, it backed up into the shower.
Terry

Attachments

• vent.jpg
    vent.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 1,746
Last edited by a moderator:

Jpb116

Reaction score
or is this a better solution?

is this a better option?

Attachments

• vent2.jpg
    vent2.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 1,121

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Each p-trap should have it's own vent.
Wye off for the shower, vent using a combo, and tie back the vent at least 6" above the flood level of the fixtures.

Attachments

• vent4.jpg
    vent4.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 1,421
Last edited:

whats up

Reaction score
no every time your bathtub drains it will suck the trap dry in the shower witch will make for a verry unpleasent smell.every fixture should be vented properly.

Jpb116

Reaction score
Hmmmm. So would this be a problem?

On the other side of the room is the toilet and sink .. Would the configuration below work or is it a problem? By the way, Thanks Terry, this site is wonderful!

Attachments

• toilet.jpg
    toilet.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 1,114

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It works if you use a wye and 45 fitting (combo ) where the lav drops into the main line.

Attachments

• toiletjpb1162.jpg
    toiletjpb1162.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 1,100

Jpb116

Reaction score
Correction to original pic

So, The orginal question needs to be modified a bit. In the pic below please note that the vent that i want to tie into already exsists and serves a kitchen on the other side of the wall. So it seems that the stack up through the room would be considerd a wet vent, right? Does that change the rules at all?

Attachments

• pic.JPG
    pic.JPG
    16.3 KB · Views: 1,063

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Are the two rooms on the same floor; if so, it's not a wet vent? If not, then draining into the lower floor's vent makes it a wet vent and not the greatest solution. Depending on the size of the drain pipe, it may work okay.

Jpb116

Reaction score
answer

It is a ranch, so I guess it's not a wet vent... I just want to be certain I should still do the laypout that Terry suggested above... I wasn't clear in my original drawing...

SRdenny

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Whatever way you configure it, don't forget a clean out. And at 3' the wc doesn't need a separate vent. It can be wet vented by the lavy.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks