How to seal an overflow hole in a sink drain?

Users who are viewing this thread

mmc

Reaction score
Hi All,
I just purchased a faucet that came with a drain with an overflow. My vessel sink does not have an overflow, all it has is a hole in the bottom to insert the drain. I was told that I could cover the hole in the drain using pvc pipe cut to size and add another washer. I was told this was a called making an "overflow kit" and that plumbers do it all the time. Could anyone provide me with some expert advice on how to go about this?

Returning the sink is not an option, and I really do not want to purchase a new drain without an overflow.

Thanks in advance for any help, Mary

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
On most drain w/overflow that I have seen, I see no way to connect that to a vessel lav and not leak. If the sink base is thick enough, I guess it would'd matter.

Sounds like an expensive lav. I would not even consider Rube Golberging the drain. Spend $15 to $40 and get a proper drain.

Bob's HandyGuy

Reaction score
I suspect she bought a, hard-to-match, faucet and drain without thinking ahead. BTW, if that's the case, clean them up and return them for a set without an overflow.

mmc

Reaction score
The reason I bought this faucet with this drain was because it was one of the few drains that had a 2.5" drain flange that would work in the 50 mm drain opening in the sink, as well as a faucet that would work with this sink. The overflow hole was not mentioned in the specs nor visible in the drawing, but if I were a pro at this I probably would have assumed it existed.

I have considered returning the faucet and drain, but the restocking fee is more than the cost of a new drain. I can buy a new drain with the properly sized flange and that is my fall back plan, but that solution is also less than optimal for a variety of reasons.

The gentleman who told me that the plumbers he uses frequently have to build an "overflow kit" sells high end sinks and drains. He gave me very brief instructions and was incredibley nice and clear. Unfortunately, after I hung up I realized that I had more questions and that I could use some more details. Since he is not in the business of giving advice and I have not purchased anything from him, I feel it would be inappropriate to call him back and ask for more detailed instructions. I thought perhaps someone here could help me.

Thanks again, Mary

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
We are somewhat in the dark here. If you could post some pictures of the sink and the drain, we might have some ideas.

mmc

Reaction score
I wish I had the tools and skills to post a picture, I'm sure it would become much clearer, but I don't have either. I think I will have to do it the old fashioned way and actually visit and talk to a live human being. Thanks for being so willing to help. Mary

Clayton

Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Overflow

You can use a short piece of 1-1/4" sch. 40 PVC pipe as a spacer above the nut with the metal washer and gasket on top of it. The only problem, to do it properly you should solder the overflow openings in the drain shut first. I've seen people just use lots of silicone between the 1-1/4 spacer and the body of the drain to keep water from coming out of those opening and leaking around the spacer.

This is not something plumbers do all the time... Plumbers usually just buy and install the correct parts for the job. This is more of what a DIYer would do.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks