(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NORITZ Tankless Heater--water temp fluctuation

Quote Originally Posted by master plumber mark View Post
    This might sound stupid, but here goes....

Occsionally we get water mixing at the laundry outlets....

Now that you have installed this new system their might
    be something mixing and fluxing at the washing machine...

WHO KNOWS WHY, it just t happens.....

try a very simple test and turn of f the hot and cold going to the laundry
    and then take a shower and see what happens......

if that dont work,
    you might want to change out that crummey Mixit valve
    and install a good 1700 delta.....
    We have two Delta 1700 valves and a Rinnai tankless with no problems regarding desired water temps. We never notice items such as washing machine or dishwasher filling up when in the shower.
    "Dude, we can fix that. My old man is a TV repairman, he's got the ultimate set of tools!" --Jeff Spicoli

http://web.me.com/greg.saulsbury/ChosatongaSpeaks

The tearing it out and putting a tank type heater back in would definatly solve all of the problems once in for all. Fluctuating water pressure and temperatures, Pressure Balance valves that are not quite up to snuff. Water piping that may be undersized or long runs, fluctuating gas pressures and suspect water conditions are all things that can and do cause tankless heaters to give less than advertized results. But hey, it does save 4.4% annually.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Whenever you do some soldering, you use some flux. If you are a little overgenerous with it, you'll have some inside the pipes and it can take awhile to rinse it all out. Flux doesn't taste too good. Also, the insides of the WH should have been clean, but there's no guarantee that it didn't have some contaminants inside...again, it may take some flow to flush it out.

You could turn it off, then let a hot tap run for an hour or so...no need to heat all that water. See if that makes any difference.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

I just had a Noritz installed a couple of days ago and today, I innocently typed in fluctuations in water temperatures....and poofs...the first Google result is...here! The Noritz Tankless forum. Wow! I mean, ouch.
    Sigh.
    Hey, after reading thru about 127 posts with EXCELLENT information, I find yours. I gotta say, your reply passes the smell and taste test. Short, wisdomful, and to the point. Copious here here's to you and everyone else here for the great info. I can't say I feel better about the subject, but I'm a lot smarter! Also resigned. I will place a note in a sealed bottle and shove it up that Noritz unit for the people of the future to find with my recommendation to replace the faulty Noritz with a tankful water heater. Yes! Or maybe, in 10-20 years, el yesso!
    Tanks from Salty Marsh

Quote Originally Posted by nhmaster View Post
    The tearing it out and putting a tank type heater back in would definatly solve all of the problems once in for all. ..... it does save 4.4% annually.

That seems a little unfair. I have a Noritz tankless and it works flawlessly. I've had it for less than a year now. It replaced a 50 gallon tank water heater that also worked just fine. I have no regrets at all. I haven't noticed any temperature fluctuations, but I haven't done any scientific analysis on it. I have city water, no well.

For me, the tankless made my entire bathroom remodel possible. I was able to get rid of the hot water heater closet and reclaim the space for the bathroom project. I installed an exterior Noritz tankless unit and couldn't be happier. If I have a plumbing problem with the unit, water will leak outside the house rather than inside the house. Plus, I am not using any space in the house to heat water. I live in California, so I'm not really concerned with pipes freezing (although they are insulated anyway).

I did read the original poster installed a 3/4" gas line, but it was for a short distance. That may be ok, but it was definately not ok for me. I ran a dedicated 1" gas line from the meter to the tankless unit. But the distance is to the other side of the house. I didn't need to upgrade my meter.

I love my Tankless Norwitz, thank you very much!

Chris

I hate my Noritz Tankless and have from almost the day it went in! It takes 4-6- mins just to get hot water. So for that time, cold water is going down the drain. What a waste. I have had mine in since 2005. UGH- almost every week I am thinking of going back to the "old fashioned" Tank of water that is heater ( aka water heater) but I don't cuz I am busy puting out other fires. We too have Temp variations. Ugh. I have to always warn my house guests that the water WiLL come eventually... just turn the shower on but brush your teeth, go to the toilet, etc BEFORE you go to get in the shower. Is this normal?
    The baby calls me MEMMY

So the real question is....would it be best to just go back to a regular water heater?
    The baby calls me MEMMY

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

When you had a tank, did it take awhile for the water to get hot at the shower? A tankless system, unless installed very close to the point of use would be only slightly different than a tank in the delivery of hot water. I think this system uses a small tank and can easily work with a recirculation system. that may solve you problem with either type of heater.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by tilemom View Post
    I hate my Noritz Tankless and have from almost the day it went in! It takes 4-6- mins just to get hot water. So for that time, cold water is going down the drain. What a waste. I have had mine in since 2005. UGH- almost every week I am thinking of going back to the "old fashioned" Tank of water that is heater ( aka water heater) but I don't cuz I am busy puting out other fires. We too have Temp variations. Ugh. I have to always warn my house guests that the water WiLL come eventually... just turn the shower on but brush your teeth, go to the toilet, etc BEFORE you go to get in the shower. Is this normal?
    No this is absolutely NOT normal. Either the unit or the installation is defective. A competent tech could diagnose it and possibly repair or re-commission it properly.

After 6 years of use it's probably way too late to get any cash claw back from the original installer though.

I'm looking at noritz site and planning to use this tankless water heater. now, I stumbled upon this post which made me hesitate. is there a relatively complete comparison between different brands? my local plumber recommended noritz to me.

thanks

larry
    Last edited by Terry; 04-26-2011 at 06:14 PM.

The competence of the installer and the support of the distributor are everything. Some manufacturers have certification programs, others not so much (IIRC Noritz does), which means the installer at least made it through the training and passed the test, and SHOULD know how to install & debug it. Tankless installation is is much more akin to installing a modulating-condensing heating boiler than it is like installing a tank-type water heater. The burners are 5-8x the size of those found in 40 gallon tank HW heaters, and the burner controls much more sensitive to fuel pressure, the exhaust venting has different requirements/limits etc.

So, if your local plumber has the certification (punch in your zip code, see if his name/company comes up) and has installed a dozen or more Noritz tankless units, odds are it'll be done right and you'll get at least a decade of reliable service out of it (maybe two.) If he never took the course, can't do math, and hasn't installed many low mass boilers or tankless HW heaters, maybe not. It's worth asking how many he's done. You probably DON'T want to be his first, unless he's more than just plumber with a minimalist gas-fitters license (such as, he's done dozens mod-con boiler installations or something.)

DIY Junior Member Surfing Plumber's Avatar

it does take a little longer than normal to get hot water from a tankless. This is the same for ANY brand of tankless water heater. You are heating the water from hot to cold in a matter of seconds and you have to push flush out all the cold water in the line before you get hot water. But once you get the hot water, it is endless. People just need to be educated and adjust to their life style when switching to a tankless. Tankless is NOT magical, it will NOT give you INSTANT hot water. NOTHING will give you instant hot water unless you install a recirculation pump that is controlled with a timer + thermostat.

It shouldn't take 4-6 minutes to get hot water. I am sure it didn't take 4-6 mins for hot water when you first install it. You prob need a service and flush out the scales that are building up in your water line.

for step by step de-scale procedure visit here: http://www.noritz.com/u/descale_procedure.pdf

DIY Junior Member Surfing Plumber's Avatar

Larryjay,
    Noritz is the largest tankless manufacturer in the world. They only use the best components, such as the heat exchanger is k-type copper, which is the thickest and most reliable compared to other brands. I see you are in LA as well. Noritz's US headquarter is in Orange County, therefore you will have a lot of support locally. I have been installing Noritz for 5+ years now. I have installed many other brands before but Noritz has the least amount of call backs/complaints from my customers and best support from manufacturer. Your local plumber is right when he recommended you Noritz. Trust the professional