Faucet for utility/paint sink

Users who are viewing this thread

Mikept

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
paint/utility sink setup

picking out faucets for my utility sink. I'm going to be cleaning alot of paint stuff in there.What brands and types should i get?

I was thinking about adding a second faucet with a hose bib on it off to the side that would have my roller washer attached to most of the time an would be high flow (like6.5gpm) for filling buckets on occasion.

I was also originally thinking about a pull down faucet for the main, but i heard that the pull down and the pull out style faucets dont have good pressure and that people complain about them.. I need good flow(2.5gpm) and a very very good pressure spray rinse pattern. If i have low or even medium pressure the i have to do alot of manual scrubbing to get the paint to disolve faster. I dont want that. If i use a (good) side spray then i will also need a swivel spray on faucet part for when im using two hands, though the majority of the rinsing would be with the side spray. I also thought about those resterant sink pre rinse sprays that hang down instead but I would want it to hang a few inches above the sink and the spring pull down to be light.

What is more ergonomic in a sink, the kind that spray straight 0 deg like the pull down faucets or the restaurant pre rinse sprays or the kind that spray 90 degress from the grip handle or gun like the side sprays and pull out faucets??? I'm wondering which style would be more comfortable and usefull?

Lastly i think the one handle faucet would be better, i could use my elbow if my hands are full of paint and theres half the cleaning. Of course im used to the lousy round clear double plastic ridged handles in my kitchen lol.

Last edited:

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
My utility sink has a Moen two-handle utility faucet with a high (not too high) spout and a hose connection. No aerator. Works well for buckets, attachments, whatever.

Mikept

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Herc will your sink be used 80hrs this year, and probably the same next year? I need an effecient set up.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Normally, for a laundry tub, I install a single handle with side spray without the deck, that way I can install it using two holes.

The old style side sprays do seem to have more pressure for washing paint pans. The single handle is very nice when you come in from the garden, and want to wash up quickly. I install a paper towl holder right above the faucet on the wall, so hand cleaning is quick and easy. With the single handle, I can adjust temperature with my wrist, can keep my dirty, or oily hands off the faucet.

I've used Moen and Delta, but there are other brands that would work well for this too.

I don't bother with "laundry tub faucets". I find them annoying.

Delta 403-WF
or Delta 175-WF

Last edited:

Mikept

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Thanks.
Moen or Delta, but not from the big blue or orange.

Why do restaurant style sprays hang down from above? Is that to keep them out of the way and quickly accessible when loading and unloading tall stacks of dishes, Or is there some ergonomic/speed benefit to do the spraying straight down ??

Not sure where the paper towels are going yet , im installing a wire shelf on the wall just above eye level and I'm making a backsplash and full sidesplashes up to that high, I might add a shower curtain beyond on the left side too. Painty water splash cant Ever find its way from the paint section to adjacent laundry section of the basement.
Out of curiosity do they make commercial use type side sprays?

Last edited:

bigbird

Reaction score
Normally, for a laundry tub, I install a single handle with side spray without the deck, that way I can install it using two holes.

Terry: Can you quote a Delta model # for what you would use for laundry tub. If you won't recommend in the forum, then could you please PM me.
Thanks

bigbird

Reaction score
Terry: Can you quote a Delta model # for what you would use for laundry tub. If you won't recommend in the forum, then could you please PM me.
Thanks

I see several posts up that Terry has suggested two models of Delta faucets for laundry tub applications. I also found the specific Delta 750 on a search of Delta's website.

Nate R

Reaction score
Thanks.
Moen or Delta, but not from the big blue or orange.

Why do restaurant style sprays hang down from above? Is that to keep them out of the way and quickly accessible when loading and unloading tall stacks of dishes, Or is there some ergonomic/speed benefit to do the spraying straight down ??

I think it's some of both. A lot easer to
spray deep pots, etc when there's no hose in the way.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks