(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

Thread: Where to tap of to connect drain for laundry room

  1. #1
    DIY Junior Member lupe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Phoenix, arizona
    Posts
    4

    Default Where to tap of to connect drain for laundry room

    I would like to tap into this main drain for a laundry room.
    Where should I tap into ?
    Would it be a mistake if I connect to the clean out ?
    I can unscrew the cap "whatever its called"
    Pics are provided.

    Thank You
    Attached Images Attached Images   

  2. #2
    Plumber krow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    906

    Default

    The "T" on its back should really be a 4" "y". From the pic it looks like 3".
    and the cleanout should not even be there. You should always have a clean sweep when doing underground drains. You have the potential to have drain cleaning problems.

    If you remove the cleanout and the "T" , you can replace them with a 4" "y' on the horizontal and 45 and a branch "Y" to your laundry facilities. You can use a "T" vertically but not horizontally unless you are using it as a back vented "T".

    I hope that made sense


    Sheesh, I almost confused myself

  3. #3
    Commercial Plumber markts30's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    630

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by krow View Post
    The "T" on its back should really be a 4" "y". From the pic it looks like 3".
    and the cleanout should not even be there. You should always have a clean sweep when doing underground drains. You have the potential to have drain cleaning problems.

    If you remove the cleanout and the "T" , you can replace them with a 4" "y' on the horizontal and 45 and a branch "Y" to your laundry facilities. You can use a "T" vertically but not horizontally unless you are using it as a back vented "T".
    Agreed...
    Replace the san-t on it's back with a combo then pick up the current drain with another combo (or san-t) and dump the new drain into the top of the tee catching the horizontal branch...
    (did I just confuse things more?)
    LOL
    Where in PHX are you located?

  4. #4
    Master Plumber master plumber mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of the brave....
    Posts
    4,243
    Blog Entries
    1

    Talking cut into the two inch, leave the 3 inch alone.

    Made a mistake , though it was 3 inch he was fooling with...

    Everyone is saying that is 4 inch and a 3 inch tee with a
    clenaout correct???..

    I know it is wrong,
    but it looks like that has been in the ground for a long time
    and has been working fine for decades..........

    that cleanout was probably put in the line years ago
    becasue they probably had to water test that line and had
    to put a test plug into that tee....

    they they abandoned it underground...

    you can always cut the whole thing out if you so wish,
    but you will end up having to cut that cast iron back another 5 inches or
    so to get a wye into the place where that the tee is in now....

    that could get real, real mean....
    and its been working fine for years and years....


    god gave you that 3 inch clean out for a reason...

    now you figure you what you ought to do.........

  5. #5

    Default

    I don't think that's cast iron - look at the size difference in the Ferncos. It's either terra cotta or cement pipe.

  6. #6
    Master Plumber master plumber mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of the brave....
    Posts
    4,243
    Blog Entries
    1

    Talking I really want to play with that stuff

    Quote Originally Posted by Herk View Post
    I don't think that's cast iron - look at the size difference in the Ferncos. It's either terra cotta or cement pipe.

    boy , now that would make for a fun day.......

    stand on your head and tear into a tile line just to put a wye in
    when you got that beautiful cleanout just stareing you in the face............



    that is called...... shooting yourself in the foot

    or........ breaking it off in your own rear end.....LOL

  7. #7
    DIY Junior Member lupe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Phoenix, arizona
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Ok. the drain combo on pic was placed about 1 1/2 yrs ago after a room addition that contains a shower, toilet and sink.

    The "t" is 4 inch, then reduce to 3 inch to connect to new addation. The "t" is connected to a cermic pipe or something like that, it not cast iron.

    Will, it does not appear to be cast iron.

    Anyways I was thinking about connecting directly from the clean out or test plug if you will and to the laundry room.

    What do you all think ?


    Thank You very much.

  8. #8
    Plumber krow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    906

    Default

    I recommend to remove the "T" , the cleanout and install a new 4" "Y" and branch line to the new laundry

    The sewer line is baked clay type material, some of you may know it as terracotta. Its orangy-red in color
    Last edited by krow; 02-13-2008 at 02:11 PM.

  9. #9
    I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP) Lakee911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    1,328

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by krow View Post
    I recommend to remove the "T" , the cleanout and install a new 4" "Y" and branch line to the new laundry

    The sewer line is baked clay type material, or sme of you may know it as terracotta. Its orangy-red in color
    Agreed. You have it opened up right now. Fix it and do it right before you have problems later. Later you'll have twice as much to repair and digging again.

    Jason

  10. #10
    Master Plumber master plumber mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of the brave....
    Posts
    4,243
    Blog Entries
    1

    Talking god gave you that cleanout for a reason..

    you are only installing a 2 inch laundry into a 3 inch
    clean out....

    it cannot stop up, it is gong into a 4 inch line...

    it simply has to work, it cannot ....not work......

    do whatever you think is best, good luck...


  11. #11
    I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP) Lakee911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    1,328

    Default

    He's also reducing the line on the left to three inches and then going back to four.

  12. #12

    Default passed code

    I forgot to mention that for the new addition city inspector had inspected the plumbing combo and he passed it.

    Here is a side pic of the drain combo and my helper take a break.


    Once again thank you all for you input.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

  13. #13
    Plumber krow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    906

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lcastro View Post
    I forgot to mention that for the new addition city inspector had inspected the plumbing combo and he passed it..
    WOW!! , if this was done in my area, the inspector would be fired on the spot

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by markts30 View Post
    Agreed...
    Replace the san-t on it's back with a combo then pick up the current drain with another combo (or san-t) and dump the new drain into the top of the tee catching the horizontal branch...
    (did I just confuse things more?)
    LOL
    Where in PHX are you located?
    I leave in west phoenix.

  15. #15

    Default pic of a 4" "y".

    Can someone post a pic of 4" "y".

    Thank you..

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •