Flange Question

Users who are viewing this thread

mk636

Reaction score
Hello all:
I found this site through the John Bridge site, Lots of good info here also.
I am redoing my bathroom and have a toilet flange question. I tore the old mud floor out of my bathroom and replaced it with a new mud floor( on a crawl). The height is the same, but the flange is up 1-1/2" above floor ..I do not know how this did not leak. The flange is tied to a 3" copper drain pipe and I am looking for the best way to lower the flange. I am replacing the toilet.

Thanks in advance

Mike V

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
Are you looking for "the best way" or "the easiest way" ?

The best way is to heat the flange up and remove it. Cut the copper so it sits just below you finished floor height. Resolder the flange bac on the pipe that you just cut.

The easy way, cut out the copper flange from below and replace the brass flange using ABS and a 3" fernco coupling (No soldering involved)

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you cut it off, you need a no-hub connector, not a fernco...unless it is below ground level.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
connection

A No-Hub coupling will not work on copper. He needs a copper to plastic transition coupling, if he is going to do that. It the flange is actually 1 1/2" above the floor the toilet would have to be sitting in mid air because there is not that much room under it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks