(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Flange Question

Default Flange Question

Hello all:
    I found this site through the John Bridge site, Lots of good info here also.
    I am redoing my bathroom and have a toilet flange question. I tore the old mud floor out of my bathroom and replaced it with a new mud floor( on a crawl). The height is the same, but the flange is up 1-1/2" above floor ..I do not know how this did not leak. The flange is tied to a 3" copper drain pipe and I am looking for the best way to lower the flange. I am replacing the toilet.

Thanks in advance

Mike V

Are you looking for "the best way" or "the easiest way" ?

The best way is to heat the flange up and remove it. Cut the copper so it sits just below you finished floor height. Resolder the flange bac on the pipe that you just cut.

The easy way, cut out the copper flange from below and replace the brass flange using ABS and a 3" fernco coupling (No soldering involved)

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

If you cut it off, you need a no-hub connector, not a fernco...unless it is below ground level.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Thanks for the replies.

Default connection

A No-Hub coupling will not work on copper. He needs a copper to plastic transition coupling, if he is going to do that. It the flange is actually 1 1/2" above the floor the toilet would have to be sitting in mid air because there is not that much room under it.