I Need The Best Flushing Toilet...

Users who are viewing this thread

hussungdc

Reaction score
I am a heavy commercial plumbing contractor and know what works best in the commercial realm, but I really don't stay informed on the light commercial/residential end of things. You can also read this as I don't know what is best in the "tank type" toilet end of the industry.

Here's my situation. I have four kids (all 10 and under). I want to replace an existing Kohler Wellworth that consistantly stops up with a Toto (from what I understand is the best flushing...read as least likely to stop up). This toilet is in a bathroom shared by two of my boys, so aesthetics is not important. My primary concern is flushing (non-clogging) ability (BUT I do not want a pressure assist...sounds like an airplane taking off). Price is not an issue.

Which Toto flushes the best? Does the Cyclone system flush as well or better or worse than the G-Max? What about one piece verses two piece? Again, I am simply looking for solids removal and price is not a concern.

Any advice is greatly appreicated.

Thanks,

David

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If price isn't an issue, then a Toto with CEFIONTECT

Drake CST744SG

Ultramax MS854114SG

The Best, The double cyclone models, the Soiree and Guinevere are the best of the bunch, combining flush, smooth glaze, and circular rinse.

Last edited:

hussungdc

Reaction score
Terry,

So in other words...you recomend one of the cyclones over the Drake or the Ultramax? Just making sure before I move forward.

Thanks,

David

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
soiree_cyclone.jpg

The Double Cyclone flush

Yes, the Soiree and Guinevere are the best.

Pippin

Reaction score
How about the best flushing 1.28

Assuming the same no cost restrictions what is the best flushing 1.28 gpf toilet in your impression?

Mikept

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Why are the Totos rated better flushers than the Caromas when cost doesnt matter? Sanigloss? Noise?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Caroma Dual-Flush vs Toto Dual-Flush

The Toto is more compact, which means they take up less space, and can fit in tighter places.
There are Caroma models that allow you to adjust the rough-in from 10" to 12", which is good if you have a non-standard rough-in.
The Aquia needs 11-3/4" or more.
(Most standard rough-in's are 12")

The bowl stays cleaner on the Toto
Bowls with CEFIONTECT are even better.
The flush is a little quieter on the Toto.

They both flush well.
Quality is good on both.
Parts are easier to find for the Toto, though the parts in the Caroma hold up well so it hasn't been an issue.

The Caroma is a dual flush, and right now, the only dual flush Toto is the Aquia.
The Aquia got 800 grams on the standard testing, some of the Caroma's ranged from 500 grams to more than that of the Toto.
Regardless of the test numbers though, they have always worked well.
I sell a lot more of the Toto Aquia then I do of the Caroma.
Of the two, you could make a choice based on style and call it good.

Many of the new toilets with trapways of 2-1/8" are plenty good for children and commerical applications.
If someone has medical problems, with larger than normal movements, then the larger trapway of the Caroma can accommodate that.

If you are not going with a dual flush, then I like the Toto Drake, Ultramax, Soiree, to name a few.

Last edited:

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Terry,

So in other words...you recomend one of the cyclones over the Drake or the Ultramax? Just making sure before I move forward.

Thanks,

David

I agree with Terry. I've tried non-Cyclone Totos, and had a Sloan Flushmate pressure-assisted for about 5 years. The Flushmate never clogged, or at most once in 5 years, but is loud and scares kids.

I now have Toto Soiree and love it. Quiet, efficient, and fantastic bowl wash due to the double-cyclone design. It can be clogged, but you have to work at it...

Pippin

Reaction score
Best 1.28

Assuming the same no cost restrictions what is the best flushing 1.28 gpf toilet in your impression?

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
The Caromas are used commercially because of the 4" trap way and because of that they are less likely to clog which reduces the maintenance issues later down the road.

Their skirted bowl offering clean lines also reduces the cleaning time in commercial applications and the seats snap on and off for easy cleaning also.

The system they have for the wax ring and bowl connection almost insures that you will never, ever, have to pull and reset the toilet due to a broken wax ring seal. You can move the bowl around after installation and it will not break the seal. You have to see the installation set up to understand why.

They do have a small water spot which can be an issue with some people.

In my opinion they are the most maintenance free, easy to clean toilets you can buy and they flush well.

Last edited:

Miss Buzz

Reaction score
10" Which Caroma?

Hi, You seem sold to the Caromas...we are looking for 10" rough in, dual flush, which one in Caromas would you recommend?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks