Two Garbage Disposals 1 Switch

Users who are viewing this thread

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I really want another garbage disposal in my second sink. What violations would be made by junctioning two garbage disposals to run from one switch. The electrical power from the disposal is run in 12 guage wire and is the only thing on the circuit.

1) Would both motors starting up pull more juice than a 20amp 12guage wire circuit can handle?

2) Can you run a garbage disposal without water as long as it's empty?

3) Is this the stupidest idea you ever heard?

Thanks

Tom

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You wouldn't hurt the disposers by running two at a time (one HP = around 746W so two wouldn't exceed a 20A circuit), but you probably wouldn't want to do it. It usually isn't that big a deal to add a switch, you could even use a duplex switch so it wouldn't take up another slot, or put in separate air switches for them, and use the main switch to disable them.

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Jim,

At this point I'd hate to have to spend too much time runing a wire in wall. The cabients are in and the granite is down. I guess I could just chunck a hole in the wall and pull the wire through. I just don't have a lot of desire to get side tracked right now. Maybe down the line before I put in the slate back splash.

Any idea if it is ok to run a disposal without water in it?

Thanks

Tom

Chris75

Electrician
Reaction score
You have lots of options... You can always buy a batch feed type disposal, that would be the easiest solution...

Or you can install an air switch to turn the unit on and off... personally I would buy two of these and control both disposals with them...

sts00-lg.jpg

Last edited:

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
No, yes and yes.

I never intentionally put anything in a disposer.

Pipes are for water and I HATE clogged drains.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
Pipes are for water and I HATE clogged drains.
Yea I got a bucket under the bed with a rag thrown over it for the other stuff myself. Just have to remember to go down stream from the spring to rinse out the bucket. Last time I rinsed it out upstream the coffee tasted bad for a week.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Is the existing disposal hard wired or connected to a plug? If a plug, it should be fairly easy to then just plug in two of the air switches. Or, change the single switch to a double, or expand the box to put in a new switch. You don't have far to snake the wire, so if you decide to add a wall switch, you don't have far to go and if you're lucky, it should be fairly easy.

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I guess I could do the second one with the air switch. Yup I do have it plugged into a recepticle at the back of the sink base with a switch on the wall that controls the receptical.

This is a major lazy factor. One lazy factor imposing on the other. I just hate having to decide where to put all the food. I'd rather just throw it in the sink and forget about it.

LOL

Tom

Mikept

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
how far does an electrical switch have to be from the sink?

Mikept

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
What happens if water gets into the switch? Like from errantly aimed side spray? I've never done that but i have sprayed outlets while stripping wallpaper.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
If you spray enough water to effect a switch then you have some other problems.

Most G/D switches are within arms reach of the middle of the sink and I have never had anyone tell me of a water problem in reguards to it getting into the switch.

Outlets on the other hand can be a different story, thats why GFCI protection is required.

Mikept

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I've sprayed outlets with wallpaper stripping solution which was mostly water many times. Now i make sure to leave the cover plates on put a piece of tape over the outlets so they arent soaked...

What is the problem with water and outlets? touching Electrcution hazard? Does it corrode or damage them slighly over time? trip breakers? I always thought the gfi was more for when something was pluged in and your drop it like a hair dryer into the tub or a toaster in the sink.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks