Toilet connection with flood protector ok?

Users who are viewing this thread

Joerg

Reaction score
Hello Folks,

None of the local stores has 16" connector hoses anymore, only 12" and 20". Sometimes they do have 16" but those are versions with a built-in shut-off that somehow detects a catastrophic line break and shuts off the water so your house won't become a swimming pool.

Can those "flood protector" hoses be used on pressure assist toilets or would they cause lots of nuisance shut-downs? How do these protectors work? Some kind of mechanical timer or do they detect pressure drops that are too sudden (and which a pressure-assist tank could cause)?

Regards, Joerg.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Watts FloodSafe water supplies don't work with either Toto or Korky Quietfill valves.
I haven't tried them with pressure assist toilets.

attachment.php

floodsafe-settlement.jpg

Last edited:

Joerg

Reaction score
Thanks, Terry, then I might as well forget them for the pressure-assist. Interesting that they also don't work with more "normal" valves while being marketed for toilet connections. I wonder how many of these are being returned every day as "not working right".

Doing another toilet right now. The tile guys managed to cause a substantial rigde smack along the middle. Guess I have to precision-cut some oak pieces to lift it a hair over that so that the toilet won't crack if big ol' Leroy plop himself down on it. It'll be more than 1/4" in some areas. Arrgh! :(

Regards, Joerg.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The "Floodsafe" connectors are junk! They are prone to nussance trips and are a PITA to reset. When you think about it thet are actually quite unneeded, this safety valve is protecting a braided stainless steel no-burst hose. LOL

In fact I recently had a customer that had his house flooded because one of these "Floodsafe" connectors broke. Interestingly the connector broke between the 3/8" compression connection that screws on the angle stop valve and the "Floodsafe" Valve. Breaking at this point the valve offered no protection and the "Floodsafe" connector flooded the home.

The connector broke at the arrow
brokenconnector.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
The fact that they're junk aside, I'll bet they would work fine on a PA toilet. There was no sudden monstrous inflow with the PA I had (Sloan Flushmate) -- just a normal fill rate as for any other toilet. The outflow, of course, was another story :eek:.

Jluksic

Reaction score
Watts Floodsafe false tripped ~ 1 out of 10 flushes on our AS Cadet 3.

attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks