(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Adding a Y to existing underground sewer main

  1. #1

    Default Adding a Y to existing underground sewer main

    I'm adding a room to my house and want to tie a new 3" waste to existing underground 4" sewer main using a Y fitting. I've been told that I can't use stainless steel band sleave on an underground application. Is this correct? Any ideas on how I make this connection?


  2. #2
    Plumber RioHyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio


    Codes vary on this subject. I've heard that in some places you can use the ss banded couplings (such as proflex) underground. Here where I am however, they are only approved for above ground installations while Ferncos are approved for underground. Check with your local plumbing authority as to what are the correct and approved fittings for your application.

    Good luck

  3. #3
    Moderator & Master Plumber hj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Cave Creek, Arizona

    Default connectors

    Here, Fernco couplings are not allowed anywhere inside the building, but banded No-Hub couplings are okay. In some areas, and yours may be one, MG couplings are required underground inside the building.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts