New drivin well question

Users who are viewing this thread

DJCamp

Reaction score
This weekend we drove a well in the backyard for a sprinkler system,in south florida.
I drove a 2 inch caseing down roughly 25 feet,had standing water in caseing at around 13-15 feet ,dropped a 1 1/4 feed pipe with a single 4 foot screened well tip,and and then when going to remove,or at least raise the casing up a few feet to allow the feed pipe water, the caseing coupler came loose and i only pulled up the top 10 feet of 2 inch pipe,i was able to coat the pipe and aparently reattach it to the the rest of the caseing pipe 10 feet down 2 times, any ways caseing would not come out or lift up.so i drove the 1 1/4 well tip down,lower than the caseing,about 4-5 feet.so i may be down about 30 feet at tip of well point.
hooked up a temporary pump(1 hp pool pump)with 2 " inlet/outlets,to well feed and tried it out......water volume surges 3 seconds of good water pressure and then 3 seconds of hardly anything,over and over again.
i let this run this way for about 15 minutes and it did seem to get better.but after about a 30-45 minutes it still did not straighten up and pump correctly.
i can see the water flowing into the pump through the clear cap on the pump for the cleanout.and it looks like there is a good amount of water coming in ......but what do i know.

will this straighten up eventually?did i drive the well to deep?or am i forgeting/missing something?

thanks for listening
DJCamp

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
How is the water going to get into the 2" casing? Is there a screen on the 2" casing? Is the screen (if there is one) in the water-bearing aquifer?

Your description sounds like the 2" pipe can't admit enough water to supply the capacity of the pump.

Speedbump

Reaction score
Pool pumps make very poor lift pumps. I'm amazed you got it to prime.

If you bought a Big Box screen, it's probably a Brady and it won't let in a lot of water anyway. You are going to be held to less than 20 gallons per minute by that screen and since it's in sand, it may be even less. The finer the sand the less water you will get. What kind of screen is it and what is the slot or mesh size of the openings in the screen.

The reason the water is surging is the pump is getting more than the well is giving. Your screen may be partially up in the casing still which will let it get air when the pump pulls the water level down to it. The pump gets a shot of air which makes it temporally lose it's prime, then it catches it and starts all over again.

If you need more water, you may need more of these wells tied together. It's not a very good system since there is room for a lot of air leaks with all that pipe and many fittings.

bob...

DJCamp

Reaction score
the screen we used was a 4 foot long pvc pipe with slots cut into the pipe about every 1/4 inch and a blue spike tip on the end,bought at the home depot......and to clarify my comments earlyer,we drove a 2 inch pipe with inside couplers 25 feet and then dropped a 1 1/4 pipe for the pump.
the pool pump we used was just laying around so we used it just to test the well.

is the screen we used not good for that or not made for this.
is the pool pump not able to draw water from that depth,do you think a smaller pump with smaller inlets would help?

Speedbump

Reaction score
Those screens do not let in the amount of water per foot that a better screen would. I thought you said you knocked the screen below the two inch pipe. Did you get all of it past the two inch pipe?

If not, pulling the two inch would make it work much better, but I think you said it broke off. The way you described it makes me wonder if it moved at all.

Pool pumps are designed to move a lot of water at lower pressures. Max pressure being between 18 and 38 psi in most cases. Your pool pump is over pumping the well, thus the surging.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks