Gerber Tank to Bowl gasket

Users who are viewing this thread

TonyBagadonutz

Electrician
Reaction score
I have toilet that leaks. :D

After replacing virtually everything not made of china/porcelain, I discovered that the bowl-to-tank gasket(BTG) I installed might be a bit to short :confused:

The BTG installed was 1 1/8", apparently Gerber's need a different product....

How can a leak located around the tank to bowl bolt be eliminated?

3. Check the condition of the thick rubber tank to bowl gasket. This is the gasket that encompasses the tank discharge hole and the large assembly nut. Gerber tank to bowl gaskets are thicker than what is commonly found in hardware or home improvement stores.

.....ok.....so....how thick?:rolleyes:

Navigating the Gerber site was like hiking at midnight with no moon...I discovered the above using Google.

Searching google again, the thickest BTG I found weighed in at a whooping 1 3/16"!
Is that 1/16" going to solve all my toilet issues?

This toilet has a stamp of Feb. 1987 in the tank....and a Gerber sticker still on the side exterior:cool:

Any help will be appreciated.

TIA!

Last edited by a moderator:

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
I would check a real plumbing supply house. It does make a difference sometimes. If you installed the tank to bowl bolts wrong it will leak also. If the bolts are not tight enough it will leak. I would double check to make sure that is the problem before you go and get anything else.

I would toss that toilet in the trash. It is old and should be upgraded to a nice new 1.6 gallon. The money you spend will pay for its self from water saved.

TonyBagadonutz

Electrician
Reaction score
I would check a real plumbing supply house. It does make a difference sometimes.

No doubt.
Imagine my surprise when I stumbled across a PSH that was OPEN on a Sunday at 2:30PM :D
Community Plumbing Supply Co, Springfield NJ 07081 ...

If you installed the tank to bowl bolts wrong it will leak also. If the bolts are not tight enough it will leak. I would double check to make sure that is the problem before you go and get anything else.

At first, I thought it was the bolts - but no water leaked from those areas.
At one point, the water actually shot the back of the bowl/tank area:mad:

I would toss that toilet in the trash. It is old and should be upgraded to a nice new 1.6 gallon. The money you spend will pay for its self from water saved.

I would....but....this bath is going to demoed in a few months....just need a quick fix until I can toss it all away and drop a Toto in there ! (TY Terry :) )

Thanks Patrick.

Kirk

Reaction score
What Model Is My Gerber Toilet

I have a Gerber toilet that I need to replace find the correct tank to bowl gasket, but I can't tell what model I have. The only marking I can find is on the inside of the tank. The letter A and the date 1982. Any help would be appreciated.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Gerber does make a thicker tank to bowl gasket. In hardware stores they are packaged for Gerbers.
This is for the gravity tanks that use the 2" flush valve.
The Fluidmaster replacements are too thin.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks