How deep is it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
We just bought a house with a well. I understand how to find the water level in the well, but am wondering how to determine how deep the pump is (without pulling it out, of course)?

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
The best way is to contact the state agency with which all well drillers are usually required to file well logs.

They are also supposed to file information on well capacity and water quality.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Neither is done everywhere and the first in only some states but the pump depth usually isn't included because it's not part of drilling or developing a well.

Remove the well casing cap and turn it over, sometimes the one setting the pump writes the depth there. If you could find the bill, the length of drop pipe may be on it.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Thanks

Will take a look under the well cap when it's not 40 below zero out..

The well and house is 50 years old and we have no idea what has been done in the past. What we have figured out thus far is that there is a Franklin Pump control box dated 1982 so I'm guessing that is around the time the last pump was installed. We have a non-bladder tank and bleeders in the drop pipe as the lateral is only about 4' below grade (as is the frost line).

We are wondering how deep it is as this will determine if we would attempt to pull it ourselves when the time comes.

Speedbump

Reaction score
If your dropping a weight down to find the water level, you can keep going until the weight stops. That would probably be the top of the pump. There isn't much room around the pump for anything to get by if this is a four inch well. If it's bigger than 4", this theory might not work.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks