(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "retainers" for breakers?

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek Mikey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bob NH View Post
    It is NOT a backfed breaker and doesn't need to be fastened in place.
    Now all you've got to do is convince your inspector of that .

Licensed Electrical Contractor Speedy Petey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lakee911 View Post
    Why does the main have four breakers?
    That is NOT four breakers. It's two 2-pole 100A breakers mounted in parallel creating a 2-pole 200A main breaker.
    Very common thing to see in some panels. Siemens did this for years. Still does I believe.

So, what specifically should I tell my inspector?

Tell him that the panel is NOT back fed.

Understand the next part and you will be able to discuss it with him.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    There are two ways to feed a panel.

1. From the main lugs, like both of your sub panels.

2. From a circuit breaker plugged into the bus. It is referred to as "back fed" because the circuit breaker is being used "backwards".

Typically the breaker gets power FROM the bus and sends it TO the branch circuit. In a back fed situation the power comes FROM the wires, thru the breaker and into the bus, making it a main breaker for that panel.

Main breakers have to be attached via screw to the panel so they can't just pull out like a regular breaker.

Ah ha!!!!!!

THANK YOU gentlemen. It's clear to me now, what backfed is. Neither of my 2 main panels are backfed, and I think I understand well enough to convince the inspector now - I'll print this out just in case.

Thanks!!! I'll let you know how it goes...

-Shawn

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP) Lakee911's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
    That is NOT four breakers. It's two 2-pole 100A breakers mounted in parallel creating a 2-pole 200A main breaker.
    Very common thing to see in some panels. Siemens did this for years. Still does I believe.
    Well, technically it is four breakers....two single poles make a double pole and two in parallel would be four. 2*2=4. I under that it's treated like a double pole though. I thought that paralleling circuit breakers in this manner would be bad, but I guess if it comes from the factory like that it must be ok.

Thanks,
    Jason

I wonder if was confusing retainers with with those little lockout clips?

I got some little clips with screws that hold the breaker off.
    Important note Ė I donít know man made laws, just laws of physics
    Disclaimer: I'm a big fan of Darwin awards.

Default Update!

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Now all you've got to do is convince your inspector of that .
    So! I was able to convince him that it is not backfed. He told me over the phone that he thought that panel was being fed from that breaker, so he was way off.

I had him out yesterday, and signed me off. 100%. Done with the final!

Wife and I celebrated THAT more than Valentine's day last night. 2.5 years that permit was open...

THANKS to everybody here that helped me understand the situation, and effectively explain it to the inspector.
    My wife says a big thanks too (she's still amazed about these forums, even though she knows I learned how to sweat pipe (and plumb in general), tile, and build stairs through online forums...

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek Mikey's Avatar

Hard to believe anyone would think this panel was backfed, given the huge feeders and the huge lugs they're connected to. But, always remember there are only two things you're supposed to say when a deal is closed to your satisfaction: "thank you" and "goodbye".

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Hard to believe anyone would think this panel was backfed, given the huge feeders and the huge lugs they're connected to. But, always remember there are only two things you're supposed to say when a deal is closed to your satisfaction: "thank you" and "goodbye".
    EXACTLY. Being told you're wrong is much easier to hear when you're being fed sugar at the same time.