Smelly furnance

Users who are viewing this thread

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I have a slight problem with the hot air my furnace blows. Every now and again it smells, just like the "burnt, dusty smell" many of you may get briefly when you first turn your furnance on after a long period of non-use.

It is not CO. I have three alarms in my house, and a fourth with a digitial display that keeps showing zero.

But the smell, while it comes and goes, is worrying my wife.

What do you think it can be?

I had the furnace serviced last year and cleaned.

Could it just be that I need a new filter (although I do replace these regularly as well)?

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
Your duct work could be full of dust and dust bunnies that would give you the same effect.

Vacuuming you duct work would probably eliminate most of the odour. You may be able to vacuum out the return air as well. You will need to get access by cutting a square from the sheet metal. Cover the hole with a bigger peice of metal , a few screws and aluminium metal tape

Jordan Bronson

Reaction score
Does it have... Weird Sweet Smell Odor, Rotten Veggie Smell or Garlic or Cabbage Add Sweetness or Sweet Tobacco Smell.... VERY hard to described? Cause Burn Eyes, Nose, Throat or Lung Irritation or Choking Like Coughing. Headaches and Nausea - Nauseating, Pungent, Sickening, Sicken Smelly, Queasy, Respiratory Issues, On and On and On.....

Here is the Link of the YouTube Video:

Jordan

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks