Couple of Plumbing Questions

Users who are viewing this thread

kcsupratt

Reaction score
I had a slop sink installed in my laundry room a few years ago, and for quite awhile when we turn on the facets I can hear loud rattling in the pipes. sounds like a gorilla is shaking the pipes. We normally never use the faucet but when we do i get a bit scary. Any ideas what maybe the problem?

Also, i get calcium build up around my shower heads and was wondering if using magnets around the pipes can help break down the water to alleviate this problem?

Thank you,
Kenny

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
Ya got water hammer. Air chambers or water hammer arrestors may stop the noise. Sometimes it's just a matter of fastening the pipes tightly where they rattle.

Usually, it's caused by loose parts inside a faucet or toilet fill valve. Replacing the offending parts should fix it, if you can find them.

Now. Get a big magnet. Put it on the floor. Sit on it. Imagine yourself flying through the air. Are you flying? You have just as much chance flying by sitting on a magnet as you have of changing the chemical properties of water flowing through a pipe with an external device.

kcsupratt

Reaction score
Ya got water hammer. Air chambers or water hammer arrestors may stop the noise. Sometimes it's just a matter of fastening the pipes tightly where they rattle.

Usually, it's caused by loose parts inside a faucet or toilet fill valve. Replacing the offending parts should fix it, if you can find them.

Now. Get a big magnet. Put it on the floor. Sit on it. Imagine yourself flying through the air. Are you flying? You have just as much chance flying by sitting on a magnet as you have of changing the chemical properties of water flowing through a pipe with an external device.

Herk, thanks for the reply back. For my rattling, do you think a plumber can fix my problem? Or take apart the faucet myself? I am not a handy person at all.

And regarding the magnet, I have heard that it does work, but I am unsure how true that is. But from what you are saying is pretty much when "Pigs Fly"

And me sitting on a magnet, you have no proof do you :D

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
SOmetimes if the valve uses washers, when they get old, they can vibrate. It may be as simple as replacing the washers. It is almost (but not quite) impossible to get a water hammer with a manually controlled valve. You usually need a fast acting valve like on a washing machine, dishwasher, icemaker, etc. to do it that goes from full flow to off almost instantly. The hammer occurs when the fast moving stream of water is suddenly shut off and the inertia causes the water to try to continue to move, banging the pipe into things if not anchored down. It can damage pipes and valves, so it's a good idea to arrest it when using that kind of valve. An air chamber is usually useless after a few months...if you do put one in, put in a proper one which has the air separated from the water with a seal or bladder.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks