(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Softener question for Gary

Default Softener question for Gary

Tried posting on your site, Gary, but the message board isn't allowing posts...

We purchased a 1.5cuft Clack softener from you last year, and it's working great. However, we only seem to be using about 600 gallons of soft water every 8 days. I have it set up with a 5 lb salt dose to treat 20gpg, which yields 950 gallons per regeneration. Would it hurt the resin to increase the calendar override to 9 or 10 days?

My host changed my site and forums to a new server the other day and I will have to call them. Thanks for the heads up.

I suspect you want to change things to save salt? You are only using 5 lbs every 8 days!

With 20 gpg and 300 gallons left on the meter, which is average/'normal' with variable reserve, it is using less than 2 lbs of salt for 6000 grains worth of capacity. That's like maybe $.20 every 8 days. And if we use fewer gals/person/day, you still will have a couple hundred gals on the meter when it regenerates.

You'd do better to push the Next button and let go and watch the time of day count minutes instead of the remaining gallons counting down. Seriously. It is peaked now for excellent salt efficiency and resin life.

The variable reserve is based on the last three tomorrows' historic daily water use. IOWs it varies each day. The valve checks that each midnight and establishes today's reserve and if your average water use for today is going to get you into the reserve, it starts a regeneration right now if you are programmed for Pre refill. If Post, at 2:00 Am.

We could reprogram your settings, you may be using less water than 'normal', but you'll still have gallons on the meter when it regenerates. So if you want to do that, call me when you can be at the softener; I can't/won't do this in a post or email; it takes way too long to type everything and git'er done correctly.
    Last edited by Gary Slusser; 02-10-2008 at 07:24 PM.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

Thanks for the fast reply. I kind of thought it was running at peak efficiency, but just had to ask since it "seems" like we are wasting capacity. But putting the minimal salt cost into perspective, I think I'll just leave it alone