ABS vs. PVC? Stacks too?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jpb116

Reaction score
Is there a prefered material for waste lines and vents? I was told at the supply house that ABS is a better material for waste lines than pvc. If it is great, but would that also suggest that the vent should or could be abs as well?

What do folks think?

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
Is there a prefered material for waste lines and vents? I was told at the supply house that ABS is a better material for waste lines than pvc. If it is great, but would that also suggest that the vent should or could be abs as well?

What do folks think?
It is not a good idea to mix different types of materials. I like abs. They each have there own problems. They each can be used for DWV, but you should not mix the two.

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
The consensus is usually that PVC is better than ABS. I personally prefer ABS. But ABS expands and contracts more than PVC, and doesn't have quite as hard a surface. But ABS is easier to cut, only needs glue and not primer, and to me looks more like drainage material. In function, they both work the same. But PVC is more brittle, particularly in cold weather. PVC takes longer because you have to first prime it, then glue it, then hold it together so it doesn't ooze back out of the fitting socket.

Some states require PVC and do not allow ABS. Check your local codes.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Either...it seems to be a regional thing, but a few places both are available. Don't look down on the expansion thing...ABS expands and contracts a LOT more than PVC. Neither should be installed tight, but it's more of a concern with ABS.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
abs/pbc

Whatever you use, you use it for the entire system. Normally any one area of the country will only use one of the two materials so you would use whichever is locally available. When both are available, some plumbers prefer PCV because it uses a clear cement rather than the black ABS cement.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks