Obstruction help.

Users who are viewing this thread

orbea1

Reaction score
I'm in the process of moving my toilet about 2 feet. After pulling up the floor boards, I found that my main gas pipe was directly in the way. My plan is to cut the copper pipe and put on a Fernco coupling and convert to CPVC. I'd run horizontal for a few inches and then to get up and over the pipe, I thought I'd put in a street 45 attached to another 45 and then go horizontal again until closet bend. Didnt know if that is a no-no though.
(Assume 1/4" slope, 3 inch pipe, and I am under IPC)
bathroom remodel 018_320x240.jpg

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You really don't want to put bends in you toilet drain. I think the simplest thing to do is to have the gas line rerouted to provide the space you need and then use copper to extend the drain. I can't really tell for sure, but the flange looks like it could stand to be replaced while you're at it.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
toilet

It will work for a toilet, but the inspector has to be knowledgeable about the piping hydraulics and dynamics to realize that it will function properly.

orbea1

Reaction score
Thanks for the input.
I could reroute the gas pipe. What i didnt mention and what is also going to be in the way is a large heating duct. It is justly barley seen in the bottem right corner of the photo. That cant be moved.

So you are saying it can been done just not an ideal situation or would you recommend not doing it at all?

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
You can't legally put horizontal offsets in a trap arm so far as I know. And if you think you're going to replace copper with CPVC, perhaps you should hire someone who knows what they're doing. Of course, if you just like replacing ceilings, go for it.

Fidodie

Reaction score
the more compliant way to do this might be to cut into the stack and start with pvc right from there, you could then "aim" it to the correct location of the toilet flange, avoiding horizontal offsets, and locate the fitting higher so there is a straight run above the gas line. looks like there is room to get in there.

orbea1

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm guessing that would be the best solution. Only problem is that there is a side inlet off the Santee to the stack, raising everything up would require having to run that short, 2 inch branch arm through a couple of joists. SHould be do-able though.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks