(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Obstruction help.

Default Obstruction help.

I'm in the process of moving my toilet about 2 feet. After pulling up the floor boards, I found that my main gas pipe was directly in the way. My plan is to cut the copper pipe and put on a Fernco coupling and convert to CPVC. I'd run horizontal for a few inches and then to get up and over the pipe, I thought I'd put in a street 45 attached to another 45 and then go horizontal again until closet bend. Didnt know if that is a no-no though.
    (Assume 1/4" slope, 3 inch pipe, and I am under IPC)
    Name:  bathroom remodel 018_320x240.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  60.2 KB

You really don't want to put bends in you toilet drain. I think the simplest thing to do is to have the gas line rerouted to provide the space you need and then use copper to extend the drain. I can't really tell for sure, but the flange looks like it could stand to be replaced while you're at it.

Default toilet

It will work for a toilet, but the inspector has to be knowledgeable about the piping hydraulics and dynamics to realize that it will function properly.

Thanks for the input.
    I could reroute the gas pipe. What i didnt mention and what is also going to be in the way is a large heating duct. It is justly barley seen in the bottem right corner of the photo. That cant be moved.

So you are saying it can been done just not an ideal situation or would you recommend not doing it at all?

You can't legally put horizontal offsets in a trap arm so far as I know. And if you think you're going to replace copper with CPVC, perhaps you should hire someone who knows what they're doing. Of course, if you just like replacing ceilings, go for it.

the more compliant way to do this might be to cut into the stack and start with pvc right from there, you could then "aim" it to the correct location of the toilet flange, avoiding horizontal offsets, and locate the fitting higher so there is a straight run above the gas line. looks like there is room to get in there.
    Pat

Do it once, Do it right.
    Buy or Rent the necessary tools.
    Call a pro when your skills are stretched too far.

Yeah, I'm guessing that would be the best solution. Only problem is that there is a side inlet off the Santee to the stack, raising everything up would require having to run that short, 2 inch branch arm through a couple of joists. SHould be do-able though.

Offset the riser with two 3" copper DWV 45's.