Draining hot water heater???

Users who are viewing this thread

blooba

Reaction score
I have a approx. 15 yr old crane hot water heater with the inlet coming in underneath
the unit and it has a tee fitting on it
connecting to a "drain" valve and to the
cold water. There isn't any other drain
Built into the heater itself. So I figured
If I turn off the electric and cold water
and open a faucet and the drain it would
drain but I guess there is a one way valve
so I can't drain my heater and I have
Alot of sediment and rust so it is probably
filled with sediment. Any ideas??????

Also I have a basic sediment canister filter
That I have to change every 2-3 weeks
after rinsing the filter of sediment every
few days. The taste and smell of the
water is perfect any less maintance and
or cost effective ideas?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Think soda straw with your finger over the top...with the main water valve shut off, open a faucet valve and see what happens. My unprofessional opinion.

blooba

Reaction score
Yea I tried that. Have you ever seen a water heater without a built in drain? Cuz this one has been plumbed in so I'm guessing its just a hose hookup for in the closet. I dunno something new to me but I'd like to drain that thing cuz this water is filled with sediment and I just put in that filter so I'm sure the heater is probably pretty nasty.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
heater

If that heater is only that old, I am amazed. I have not seen any like that since the 60's. Turn off the water to the heater and connect a hose and then open the drain valve. It will not do any good to leave the water on because it will not be flowing in such a way as to force the initial material out of the heater and through the hose. Open the safety valve on the top or side of the tank, unless yours was one of those that were "as safe as a light bulb and did not need a safety valve".

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
leave sleeping dogs lie.

dont touch that heater if you know whats good for oyu.

I get little old ladies every so ofter thinking that they are supposed to drain their heater who havent touched the thing since the 70s. All you do is mess things up, usually youi wont be able to shut off that old valve after you open it up.

it fills full of sediment and wont seal off again. At least get a hose end cap and a washer from the hardware store to use to seal off that fitting or it will drip everywhere.

leave sleeping dogs lie.

blooba

Reaction score
Yea well it does have a pressure valve
but it doesn't have an actual valve its
one that breaks open and then has to be
replaced. And the drain valve is in good
shape and since its plumbed in I can
replace or rebuild it so that's not a problem.

Last edited:

mrjetskey

Reaction score
I change out my electric hot water-heater every 2nd or possibly 3rd element change 8 years max.they are so cheap and 300.00 spent every 8 years or so I list as preventive maint.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks