Lead pipe height

Users who are viewing this thread

frank911

Reaction score
hello,
do i need a longer lead pipe or is this one ok ? it's 1" to 1.5 inches above the planned floor height.

Attachments

• IMG_2877_1.jpg
    IMG_2877_1.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 300

frank911

Reaction score
lead pipe

it's for a toilet. i want to know if this is enough height (1-1.5")to fold over a brass flange.

Last edited:

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
I think that 1-1/2" would be long enough, but the longer the better. It's always easy to remove, but hard to put it back on. :) But, why on earth are you using a lead closet bend? With the ease of todays plastic parts, most people do that.

Jason

frank911

Reaction score
lead pipe heght

this is just a lead connection piece connecting to a 90 degree abs water closet.

Frank

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
And the question remains...why use lead when abs is cheaper, easier to use, easier to install?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
lead bend

I am not sure how you made a good connection between a lead bend and an ABS pipe, but I know I would not have done it. Lead bends, when they are used, and I have never installed one but have taken a lot out, are for use with cast iron systems.

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
Sherman, set the Wayback Machine for 1910! Good grief, man, lead wasn't a good material when it was still in use. I know of no legitimate way to fasten lead pipe to plastic pipe unless you wiped a lead joint to a brass ferrule and screwed it into a threaded plastic fitting.

TMB9862

Reaction score
One end of a lead bend has a brass feral wiped to it or at least the ones I get do. You can put a no hub clamp on that and attach it to whatever you want.
I do lead bends fairly frequently. Here commercial buildings can not have any plastic pipe, everything has to be cast iron or copper. Their is also one town which forbids plastic waste lines altogether. Their certainly isn't anything wrong with using them when the situation calls for it. They last a long time unless someone gets overzealous with a toilet auger. They're easy to repair too, just clean it up well and throw some new lead into and over the hole and it's good to go.
I agree thought, I can't see any reason to use a lead bend in this situation. You do know that you don't just fold it over right? You need to hold it out without ripping it then solder it to the flange keeping the flange just hot enough to melt the solder but not to hot that it's going to melt the lead bend. Remember while doing it don't touch the lead with the flame, heat the brass flange.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
That is the first lead closet bend that I have seen that was less than 50 years old... I take them out... Not install them!

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
The lead bends are impossible, or should I say improbable to get. We do not have access to any wiping solders anymore. They have taken them off the market about 10 years ago in my area. You may find some "old school " plumbers that have some stashed away their shop basement. Wholesalers will tell you "discontinued"

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks