(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lead pipe height

Default lead pipe height

hello,
    do i need a longer lead pipe or is this one ok ? it's 1" to 1.5 inches above the planned floor height.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

What's it for?

Smile lead pipe

it's for a toilet. i want to know if this is enough height (1-1.5")to fold over a brass flange.
    Last edited by frank911; 02-07-2008 at 12:06 PM. Reason: addition

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP) Lakee911's Avatar

I think that 1-1/2" would be long enough, but the longer the better. It's always easy to remove, but hard to put it back on. But, why on earth are you using a lead closet bend? With the ease of todays plastic parts, most people do that.

Jason

Default lead pipe heght

this is just a lead connection piece connecting to a 90 degree abs water closet.

Frank

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

And the question remains...why use lead when abs is cheaper, easier to use, easier to install?
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Default lead bend

I am not sure how you made a good connection between a lead bend and an ABS pipe, but I know I would not have done it. Lead bends, when they are used, and I have never installed one but have taken a lot out, are for use with cast iron systems.

Sherman, set the Wayback Machine for 1910! Good grief, man, lead wasn't a good material when it was still in use. I know of no legitimate way to fasten lead pipe to plastic pipe unless you wiped a lead joint to a brass ferrule and screwed it into a threaded plastic fitting.

One end of a lead bend has a brass feral wiped to it or at least the ones I get do. You can put a no hub clamp on that and attach it to whatever you want.
    I do lead bends fairly frequently. Here commercial buildings can not have any plastic pipe, everything has to be cast iron or copper. Their is also one town which forbids plastic waste lines altogether. Their certainly isn't anything wrong with using them when the situation calls for it. They last a long time unless someone gets overzealous with a toilet auger. They're easy to repair too, just clean it up well and throw some new lead into and over the hole and it's good to go.
    I agree thought, I can't see any reason to use a lead bend in this situation. You do know that you don't just fold it over right? You need to hold it out without ripping it then solder it to the flange keeping the flange just hot enough to melt the solder but not to hot that it's going to melt the lead bend. Remember while doing it don't touch the lead with the flame, heat the brass flange.

Default bend

If plastic could not be used I would use a cast iron bend before even considering a lead bend.

Smile

looks crazy,

I would not use that material anywhere in my house

General Contractor Carpenter toolaholic's Avatar

Question

What part of The World do You reside in ??

Default World

Probably NY or MA. They both appear to still use lead bends, but then they also vote for Hillary and Kennedy.

General Contractor Carpenter toolaholic's Avatar

Thanks' HJ , You just ruined My breakfast!

That is the first lead closet bend that I have seen that was less than 50 years old... I take them out... Not install them!