Sewer Tie In Question

Users who are viewing this thread

arthurrc

Reaction score
I am adding a bathroom- basic layout- toilet/tub/vanity, and I am also moving my washing machine to a different part of my house. We are on a septic system. It would be easiest to plumb everything in to my existing black water sewer line. What are the benefits of keeping the gray/black water seperate? and are there big negatives to running everything to my existing black line? thanks for your input.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
Your piping or septic system may not be able to handle the additional load. By keeping gray water seperate, you can use it to water flowers or the grass or something directly. We'll let some others chime in too.

Fidodie

Reaction score
as long as you are not adding additional people (ie bedrooms) to your house, your water usage (discharge) will not change. it might even go down if you are adding a new HE laundry and modern w.c.

grey water can not be discharged above ground in my area (except somehow my washing maching drains into my sump pit :D) the exception is a/c condensate, which goes into my storm water system.

if you are adding a bedroom, there may be sizing issues with the septic.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks