Plastic Push Pull Valve

Users who are viewing this thread

augieone

Reaction score
I have a plastic push pull valve under my bathroom sink that is leaking. This valve is connected to copper piping . I want to replace this valve with a metal quarter turn valve but don't know how to get these plastic values off. The value is too close to the wall to cut off and start over. Can anyone tell me how these are attached to the copper pipe and how to remove them.
I was planning on relacing it with a compression fitting but don't know what I will find if I can get the old one off.

Thanks for any help you can provided.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
If it is what I think it is you will have to turn off the water, drain down the house and carefully cut it off the pipe.

Is the house piping copper or CPVC?

augieone

Reaction score
Copper. Will the pipe be in a condition where I can put a compression value on the copper pipe?

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
If you're careful when you cut it, yes. It has to be damn near perfectly round.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valve

They are slid onto the pipe. Sometimes you can remove them by twisting them while pulling. Other times you have to tear them apart so you can get to the barbed ring holding onto the pipe. You do not have to cut the pipe off.

spawngod

Reaction score
push pull valve connection

2 questions:

1. Does a push pull valve like the photo shown , connected by a compression fitting or glued?.

2. I have not seen the (mechanics) inside of this type of valve - so
when the valve is not fully push in or pulled out is there a possibility of a slight dripping leak ?

Attachments

• push pull valve 2.JPG
    push pull valve 2.JPG
    23.8 KB · Views: 9,267

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I grab them with vice grips and break the plastic untill I get down to the innards and the ss grabber ring. Then I twist the ring off, buff up the pipe and either swett on a new valve or use a comperssion stop.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I grab them with vice grips and break the plastic untill I get down to the innards and the ss grabber ring. Then I twist the ring off, buff up the pipe and either swett on a new valve or use a comperssion stop.

As Arnold would say Terminate with Extreme Predjudice. Just dont hurt the copper pipe.

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
Almost seems like it'd be fun *ahem*... easier to take an acetylene torch to it! Begone foul plastice fittings!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks