Cast Iron Pipe?

Users who are viewing this thread

waggscreek

Reaction score
I am moving a drain pipe that used to be connected to a bathtub (I'm building a shower.) The drain pipe is cast iron and I need to connect plastic pipe to it. Can anyone tell me how I can do this?

Attachments

• bathroom 009.JPG
    bathroom 009.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 569
  • bathroom 011.JPG
    bathroom 011.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 644

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It's a little tough to tell from the pictues,
You may have a hub there, that will take a pipe using a rubber fernco inside hub seal.

This is how plastic would look into the hub.

washer_b4.jpg

waggscreek

Reaction score
Here are the picures of the pipe. I believe it is all cast iron? I would be able to hammer a dent in lead, right?
Can I cut the cast iron pipe and connect plastic? If so, where would I cut it? I'm going to move the drain about 14" to center it for the shower.
Thank you for your help!
Susan

Attachments

• 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    19.9 KB · Views: 471
  • 020.JPG
    020.JPG
    20.9 KB · Views: 446

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you cut the cast, cut it behind the hub.
But first measure to see what diameter it is.
Most new cast iron is 2-3/8"
Some of the old stuff is 2-1/8"
When I couple the small stuff, I use a Copper by cast coupling.

Or, it looks like a rubber seal is stuck in the hub, if so, you may be able to pull out the last pipe.

Toothpick? There was plenty of wood there already in that non load bearing wall. That had been done by the handyman before me.

waggscreek

Reaction score
It is a rubber seal so when you say "pull the pipe out" is that literal? Can I just yank it out? I did tug on it a bit, but was afraid to really pull it for fear of pulling out everything, the larger pipe and all (possible?) I've never touched a plumbing pipe before in my life so this is all new to me. I'm about as new as they come to DIY projects but so far so good.
Susan

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks