(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Capacitor burnt up in control box

Unhappy Capacitor burnt up in control box

We had a power outage due to the weather and we woke up the circuit breaker for the well was popped so I reset it and it kept kicking out I took the control box to the (pro) water equipment store and they tested and sure enough the capacitor was bad put new one on and it lasted a couple of hours now it is blown again. Any pointers? Frankline Elec control box

Rancher

Sounds like a lightning strike, or a voltage surge, it's probably the pump.

Rancher

Smile Thank You

I was hoping because it would work for awhile after the capacitor was changed it was not the pump. Are the pumps hard to replace? Thanks for the reply!

It could still be the relay in the box. If the capacitor was bad, the relay couldn't be in any better shape. Try a new relay with the new capacitor, or replace the control box completely before pulling the pump. When you get it back to working, you should know that cycling on and off is what usually causes this problem, and try to fix the real cause.

Previous member

Do you have access to a volt/ohm meter? If so, we can walk you through testing these components and the pump motor as well.

bob...

Everyone has access now from harbor freight for $2.99 - and they work well and reliably, I hate to admit. I think something like this cost about 20 bucks in 1970, when the minimum wage was $1.20 or so. Comes with a battery worth a buck too. Love that slave labor.

Previous member

Everyone has access now from harbor freight for $2.99
    ?

Access to what?

bob...

Rancher

Quote Originally Posted by speedbump View Post
    access to a volt/ohm meter?
    Bob, pay attention.

Rancher

Default In short replace the control box!

Valveman is right the lightning probably got the relay in the control box as well. . . maybe even damaged the overload switch. . . I recommend you replace the control box.

A Volt/Ohm meter for $2.99 won't generally check for high resistant shorts (damaged windings). However it will check for dead shorts like checking from each lead in the well to ground. If it reads anything on a cheap ohm meter, it means the pump motor or the drop cable (wire down the well to the pump) is damaged. In that case the pump must come out of the well!

Previous member

Duhhhh, I didn't read up one thread. I was in a hurry.

bob...